Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I got a bit confused about this sentence...    

I got a bit confused about this sentence...

jocel
Philippines

I got a bit confused about this sentence...

Dear colleague!

A great day everyone! Could anybody help me about this sentence structure?

I found this sentence in one of the exercises from a book with the lesson about question tags. But I found this sentence a bit strange...

"You �ve never stop, ______?"
           a. do you?
           b. don �t you?

Letter �b � is the answer. According to the book.

If we will not contract the sentence it will be �You have never stop... � So it means it has the pattern of Present Perfect Tense.

My question is, HOW and WHY letter b is the answer? But I guess there �s no right answer. Please help me...

Could anybody help me to understand this? Thanks in advance!!!

Hugs,

jocel

2 Sep 2011      

canterina
Italy

I �m as confused as youWacko

Shouldn �t it be "You never stop, do you?"
Or...."You �ve never stopped, have you"?

What does "I �ve never stop" mean?The  Present perfect tense wants a past participle, doesn �t it?=

2 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

"You�ve never stop" is incorrect (wrong).

It could be:

"You�ve never stopped, have you?"

"You never stop, do you?"

Douglas

2 Sep 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Even the best exercise books have occasional mistakes and typos. This is obviously one of them. Just correct the exercise with what Douglas proposed.

2 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Jocel,

I agree with the previous writers.

Les 

2 Sep 2011     

jocel
Philippines

Thank you so much for your help douglas , PhilipR and ldthemagicman! You helped me a lot!

Now I�m clear�

Thanks also to ESLprintables. This site is really great! Thanks Victor!

Enjoy the rest of the day!

Hugs,

jocelyn

2 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

@rttrr,

You �ve overlooked the "you �VE" part... you cannot say "You �VE never stop". The sentence is wrong.

Although, "do you?" would be the correct answer since "never" is a negative particle/adverb and therefore makes the sentence require an affirmative question tag.

2 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear rttrr,

Perhaps you think, "there is nothing wrong with the question".

But there is!

It is ungrammatical.

Your reply is not correct!

In this sentence, �stop� is a verb, not a noun, (as your own sentence indicates: "You never try to stop ... ...")

(With thanks to):

Oxford Collocations Dictionary for Students of English, 2nd edition

never adv.

Never is used with these VERBS: cry , dream , encounter , end , envisage , envision , escape , fail , falter , flinch , forget , forgive , happen , intend , last , learn , like , materialize , meet , mention , realize , recover , refer , regain , regret , slacken , solve , STOP , stray , think , touch , vary , venture , want

� Oxford University Press, 2009

Michael Swann, �Practical English Usage�, OUP, page 418, gives examples of the Present Perfect Tense, including:

�She�s never apologisED for anything in her life.�

(�She has never apologised for anything in her life�)

As others, (including Jocel, the original questioner), have correctly indicated, the question under discussion is also written in the Present Perfect Tense.

�You �ve never stop, ______?�  (Except that �stop� should be the Past Participle, �stoppED�).

Writing this question without any contraction, the question becomes:

�You have never stop, ______?�

You contend that this sentence is equivalent to:

�You (??? have ???) never try to stop but continue on your own way ... do you?�

Firstly, for some unexplained reason, you alter the sentence from the Present Perfect Tense to the Present Simple Tense.

Secondly, you have decided to ignore the small, but extremely important word, �have�.

Thirdly, if this were an equivalent sentence, (which it is not), the appropriate Tag Question after, �you continue on your own way�, would be, �Don�t you?� not, �Do you�, as you suggest.

A more accurate rendering of your sentence could be:

�You have never tried to stop but have continued on your own way ... haven�t you?�  (Present Perfect)

OR

�You never try to stop but continue on your own way ... don�t you?�  (Present Simple)

As others have correctly indicated, the original question should be:

"You�ve never stopped, have you?"  (Present Perfect)

OR

"You never stop, do you?"  (Present Simple)

The original question which was posed by the Exercise in the Book,

is grammatically incorrect.

I am sorry to be so blunt.

Les

2 Sep 2011