Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > PHRASE of the DAY - Second Shift    

PHRASE of the DAY - Second Shift

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

PHRASE of the DAY - Second Shift

Hello, Everyone!

Thank you, Douglas, for choosing me as Winner of Phrase of the Day!

The phrase for today, (Second Shift), is: "To egg on". This slightly unusual phrase is frequently used in conversation in the UK, so what does it mean? By all means, consult your dictionaries, but don �t tell us the correct answer.

Please, describe this phrase, with examples! Give us your witty, whacky, wordy, windy, wily, worthy, wobbly, wishy-washy, whimsicalities of wisdom, k-wickly.

I realise that different Members have different opinions of different aspects of ESLP. For a Club which welcomes so many diverse people, with diverse languages, and diverse abilities, that is an extremely good feature.

Consequently, ESLP is not the usual "Blah-Blah-Blah" type of organisation, but is bubbllng with enthusiasm; has a widely varied programme; and is overflowing with prudent, professional, practical advice.

Many people in society are unpleasant, ungrateful, and unhelpful individuals. By contrast, many Teachers are unspoilt, unselfish, and undemanding in their attitudes.

The Best Part of being on ESLP is that the majority of its Members are good, inspired, outstanding Teachers, who are dedicated to their Students and care about them deeply.

I hope that Phrase of the Day can continue, because, in a stressful occupation like Teaching, it provides a light-hearted break for those Members who read it, and also for those who participate in it.

In the same way that Practical Games are an extremely useful Learning Tool for Students in the Classroom, Word Games are equally useful for Teachers in the Forum. They encourage co-operation and investigation, analysis and synthesis, comedy and camaraderie.

Moreover, (although few Members make their happiness publicly known), numerous individuals have written to me expressing their joy and pride at being selected as the Winner, and saying how much English they have learned from the many ideas expressed by Contestants.

When ESLP decisions are being made, we should not forget the Voice of the Silent Majority.

I hope that Phrase of the Day continues.

Les

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30231&page=1

6 Sep 2011