Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is the word "inches" a technical word?    

Is the word "inches" a technical word?

carinita
Argentina

Is the word "inches" a technical word?

I asked my students to find examples in a text of words related to technology Should I consider that the word "inches" fits the category?

8 Sep 2011      

yanogator
United States

Yes, I �d say that any units of measurement are related to technology. There certainly couldn �t be technology without measurement.

Bruce

8 Sep 2011     

foose1
United States

As a person who has worked in the Aerospace industry (mechanical and electrical), I can honestly tell you that American industries converted over to the metric system years ago and inches is not being used anymore in technical jargon.  

John

8 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Carinita,
As someone who was involved with �measurement � for many years, I would certainly include any terms of measurement, whether �modern � or �out-of-date �, as �technical �.  Words such as �inch �, �foot �, �yard �, �chain �, furlong �, �mile �, �jill �, �pint �, �quart �, �gallon �, �acre �,  �league �, �cubit �, etc. may not be in current use in the modern work-place, but they are used in conversation, in recounting past events, and, more particulary, in written material.  Moreover, different languages use different sizes and descriptions for technical terms.  Are these words also to be excluded, simply because they are not English?

If the word �inch � is not a technical term, how do builders and engineers convert measurements on  �old-fashioned � drawings to �modern � drawings, when they make extensions and alterations?  Are they converting �non-technical terms � into �technical terms �.  I think not!

Undoubtedly, the Metric System has largely, (but not entirely), superseded the Imperial System in working practice.

In a similar way, the Chariot, Papyrus Writing, and the Sabre Toothed Tiger, are no longer seen in modern life.  But no-one says that, because of the passage of time, these  �technical � descriptions are no longer, �technical � descriptions.

I hope that your Class goes well.  All the Best.

Les   

8 Sep 2011