Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > POD for Thursday, September 8th    

POD for Thursday, September 8th

valentinaper
Greece

POD for Thursday, September 8th

Thank you, Jayho, for picking me to continue the game.
I was lost for words when I first found out about the origin of the phrase
                                   "to kick the bucket".
Did you know that this one dates back to 1785? I always use this phrase as an example to show my students the deep roots of the English language in time.

Well, I �m sure most of you are more than familiar with the meaning of the phrase, but this is not the point here, is it?

Please, let us enjoy your witty, wacky daffynitions of this phrase!

Cheers,
Valentina

8 Sep 2011      

douglas
United States

As we all know Charlie Bucket is the star of Roald Dahl�s book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". 

Charlie was a very poor boy living in England.  While many young boys with nothing to do pass their time in the streets there playing "kick the can", in Charlie�s neighborhood the boys prefered to play "Kick the Bucket"

--CHARLIE Bucket!

Cheers,
Douglas

8 Sep 2011     

Apodo
Australia

The roots of this saying come from early farming days. The dairy maids knew that certain cows were restless and tetchy while they were being milked, so much so that they were inclined to kick.
Of course, this invariably led to the milk bucket being kicked over and the milk being spilt, so  these cows were known as �Kick-the-buckets. �
So a �kick-the bucket � is a stroppy cow!

8 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Why do you want Kirk to pick up the basket or tick Nantuket ?????

Because he was sick in the Suquet (the oldest district in Cannes, the French city of the film festival in May) ?????

or maybe because he kicked the bus cut in 2 halves playing cricket in ????

8 Sep 2011