Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > POD for Thursday, September 8th (second shift)    

POD for Thursday, September 8th (second shift)

valentinaper
Greece

POD for Thursday, September 8th (second shift)

This is the second thread to the POD for today.
Our phrase is:   "to kick the bucket".
You can see what other members have posted so far using this link.

It �s an easy phrase, so...go for it, people! Be creative!

Cheers,

Valentina

9 Sep 2011      

gloriawpai
Brazil

there �s a proverb: make do with what you have
I believe, if you don �t have a ball to kick, but you have a bucket instead why not  play soccer with a bucket?

9 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Kick the Bucket!  �Do NOT look this Phrase up in the Dictionary!�

As you know, I�m a stickler for the Rules, so I didn�t look this phrase up in a Dictionary.

Instead, I looked it up in the �Entertaining Stories of Language Phrases�,  (ESLP, OUP, UK).  This book is one of a series regarding hobbies, which includes �The Nervous Parachutist�, by Hugo Furst; �Scandinavian Photography�, by Matt Finnish; and �Expert Carpet Fitting�, by Walter Wall.

I was quite surprised to discover that this phrase originally began at the time of �Magna Carta�, (Latin, �The Big Map�), in 1215.  Nowadays, of course, we have �The Big Mac�.

Naturally, you will know that Latin has had a great influence on English life.  The fact that the Rumba, Tango, and Cha-Cha-Cha were extremely popular dances shows the Latin influence on British entertainment. 

However, Latin had very little influence on the English language, per se.  I think the only Latin phrase to have survived is: �Sic Transit Gloria Mundi�, which translates as: �Gloria was sick coming over on Monday�.

The phrase, �Kick the Bucket�, originated from the duties of the Town Crier.  He was the official appointed to �Kick the Bucket� around the town, at six in the morning, to wake the citizens.  Metal buckets hadn�t been invented then, so a leather bucket was used, which made no noise.  Consequently, the wealthy people weren�t disturbed, and they slept on.

However, the Town Crier had bare feet.  Every time he kicked the bucket, he cried with pain, (hence the title, �Town Crier�).  His howls of agony woke the poor people, because it was the only entertainment that they got.  Moreover, they couldn�t get cuckoo clocks, because Switzerland hadn�t been invented at that time.

Around this period, there were huge population movements, resulting in the Great Vowel Shift and later, the Semantic Shift, which affected how language was spoken.  It began in ancient times, with the literature of the great sea-trading nations: �The Torn Greek Trousers� by Euripides?  This was followed a very short time later by: �The Repaired Greek Trousers� by Eumenides?

This seaman tick language progression was cleverly spotted by Maryse Pey� and can clearly be seen in the following Table, taken from: �Political Correctness�, by Noah Fence.  

Kick the Bucket

Cork the Picket

Cook the Biscuit

Cawk the Basket

Cock the Bracket

Cake the Briquette

Brake the Coquette

Brick the Croquet

Block the Cricket

Black the Crockett

Crack the Blanket

Tear the Sheet

Rip the Eiderdown

Sip the Cider Down

Yo-Ho-Ho and a Bottle of Rum

Yes!  �Kick the Bucket� was the inspiration for the seafaring novel, �Treasure Island�, by Hyde Ann Seek, which gave us that Famous Question, followed by that even More Famous Answer:

�Dad, why are Pirates, Pirates?�

�Because they �Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah�, Jim lad�.

Les

9 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Impressive story Les! However, you and Maryse forgot one saying from the French of course,which is: "kicki  la biquette"
In the olden times, there was a children"s story :" la ch�vre de Mr Seguin" ( Mr Seguin �s goat) . Les, as your French is tip top, you will know that the affectionate word for a goat is "une biquette" . So.....Mr seguin had attached his poor kicki biquette to a rope , itself attached to a big pole , in his pasture in front of his little farm. He didn �t want his lovely and unique biquette to run away and end up in the wolf �s terrible teeth.
So one day when Kicki la  Biquette managed to run away One could hear poor Mr Seguin running wild in the country and shouting: " Please, someone bring back my Kicki la biquette!" and with the Southern French accent it sounded like::
"Please bring back my lovely kick ze backet"
 Here you are Les and Maryse! Guess you had forgotten your French basics!

9 Sep 2011