Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Word Pronounciation    

Word Pronounciation

lazy_daisy
Vietnam

oh, you mean that the sound "U" is often be mute in many cases in Japanese?
:-( sorry to hear that ... because �U� is the beginning letter of my name. i wonder how a Japanese friend could pronounce my name fully.
hihi
i am kidding. don�t take it serious.
(I am a newbie in this forum, and it�s nice to know all of you)

25 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

luckily for you it only happens at the end or in the middle of words!

Have a great Christmas & New Year.

Welcome to the club lazy_daisy

26 Dec 2008     

lazy_daisy
Vietnam

to Alien Boy: Deep thanks for your welcoming words. Have a great Christmas & New Year,too.
by the way, can I ask you something?
I know that the New Year in Japan is celebrated according to the solar calendar, unlike other Asian Nations (following lunar calendar). Is that right, Alien Boy? When did the country make that change?

26 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Shogatsu (Japanese for New Year) changed to the Gregorian Calendar in 1872/3. This was during the Meiji Restoration. Japan modernised rapidly and modeled many of its institutions after European and American  examples (and often with foreign advisors)

So, akemashite omedito (pronounce a-ki-mah-shte  o-meh-di-toe, no �i� in mashite!) lazy_daisy!

26 Dec 2008     

lazy_daisy
Vietnam

Alien Boy, thankyou for your information.
 I think that �akemashite omedito" is a way to say Happy new year, is it right? (At a guess, �cause you didn�t tell me, and I don�t know Japanese)
if I am not mistaken, I�d like to say 
"akemashite omedito" to you :-)

26 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

lazy_daisy - you�re spot on! Good deduction.

I�m actually an Aussie & am based just outside Tokyo in Saitama prefecture. Whereabouts are you?

26 Dec 2008     

lazy_daisy
Vietnam

I see, you are an Aussie working in Tokyo. (That may be the reason for your name �Alien�, sorry if it�s not so).
It�s really nice to know you, Alien Boy ;-)
I am in Saigon, a city in the South of Vietnam. Have you ever set foot on Vietnam?

26 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2