Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > noises    

noises

soledad_grosso
Argentina

noises

hello. how are you? next week i have a class about different noises ( advance level) and i need a nice activity but i can �t get it. Could you give me some ideas please? 

( this is the vocabulary i �m going to use )

have a nice day and weekend ! 

9 Sep 2011      

Daisee
Vietnam

Try lookin� @

9 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Soledad Grosso,

Here are some nice sound effects, free, which you can use.

Les

http://www.grsites.com/archive/sounds/

9 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://busyteacher.org/5949-201-professional-sound-effects-for-your-lessons.html
Sophia

9 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Soledad Grosso,

Using sounds is an excellent way of teaching, because not all Students respond positively to written words.

Some Students are thinkers, some are doers; some are writers; some are readers; some are musicians; some are artists; some are actors; some are dancers; some are leaders; and some are followers.

And there are many Students who are listeners.

If you have a Lesson which incorporates several aspects of these mental processes, you have a much better chance of successfully triggering messages to the brain of the Student.  By stimulating different parts of the brain with the same message, but delivered in a variety of different forms, the Teacher will have a much greater chance of success, compared to repeatedly delivering the message in the same boring fashion, again and again.

To put it very simnply --- as a Student, which Lesson do you prefer?

A Lesson that has Colour, Movement, Light, Dark, Voices, Music, Sizes, Shapes, Actions, Words, Pictures, etc.
OR
A Lesson that has one format, which is Repeated, Repeated, Repeated, Repeated, Repeated, Repeated, etc.

I know what I prefer, and I know what my Students prefer.

At the beginning of the year, in the first Lesson, I blindfold a volunteer Student.  I ask the Class to remain silent.  (Before beginning, take careful note of Health and Safety).

Then I ask the Volunteer to say the first word that comes into his/her head, when I say: "Now!"

One-at-a-time, I put a variety of different articles into the Volunteers hand, and say: "Now!"
The Student feels and says: "Mobile; Cassette; Coin; Pen; etc".
I make a variety of sounds, and say: "Now!"
The Student listens and says: "Keys; Coins; Bell; Whistle: etc".
I give the Student a variety of foods, and say: "Now!"
The Student tastes and says: "Sugar; Coffee; Chocolate; Orange Juice: etc".
I blow on the Student �s hand --- "Wind!"
I light a match, way below the Student �s hand --- "Fire!"
I spray perfume on my hand and let him smell it --- "Smell - Perfume!"
I shine a torch on the Student �s covered eyes --- "Light!"  

I do all these things to prove that WE LEARN WITH OUR WHOLE BODY.

Three �Sound Games �
1) Behind a screen, (or with a Recorder), the Teacher makes 10 Sounds.  Students must write the name of the Sound.
2) (With a Recorder), the Teacher makes 10 Animal Sounds. Students must write the name of the Animal.
3) (With a Recorder), the Teacher makes a series of Sounds, without pause --- "Footsteps; Door; Stairs; Conversation; Drinks; Scream; Running Footsteps; Car; Screech of Brakes; Crash".  Students must write a story, based on the Sounds.  (Once Teacher has the Recording, it can be used for the next Class.)

I hope that I have helped.

Les

9 Sep 2011