Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Something to keep in mind, please...     

Something to keep in mind, please...

Mar0919
Mexico

Something to keep in mind, please...

Hello, everybody!!! Hope you are all having an excellent weekend. Me? Well, sitting here having soooooooo much fun doing my lesson plans for the week.
Well, whenever I need to explain a certain topic, I like to offer my ss extra practice with the wonderful worksheets I find here.... BUTTTTTTTTTT..... well, let �s keep in mind, that we are teachers from ALL over the world, where our students have different needs, different levels, etc. So, as wonderful as the worksheets shared here are, sometimes we need to make some adjustments, to suit our specific needs.
Please don �t convert your text exercises to images because this makes them uneditable. Yes, I know this is done so as to "protect" a worksheet from being copied and presented as someone else �s. But, let �s be real, do you think this actually stops whoever wants to do this? They �ll just copy the whole image! Wink 
I sent the owner a message to please send me the editable version, but maybe this member might be out for the weekend and won �t see my message, and I had planned this activity for Monday..... so........ agggggggghhhhhhhh.......... I got a bit frustrated... I won �t be able to use this worksheet after all, because I needed it for Monday...

I know the issue of copying someone else �s work has been broadly discussed, and I totally agree we should respect each other �s work, but also, it IS a reality that many times we need to change little bits and pieces to adapt it to our ss.

That is just my humble opinion, hope some of you agree... or you might not (as Ed says!)

Have a great whatever �s left of the weekend for you!!!

Hugs!
Mar

11 Sep 2011      

Kita19
Portugal

Hi Mar!

I completely agree with you!! That situation has already happened to me too! Confused

However, I think sometimes people here copy the text as an image not only because of copyright infringment, but also because the file doesn �t stay so heavy and that �s very important here in ESLprintables...

Well, I hope you can find an alternative to that worksheet... I don �t really know what you need to change, but couldn �t you possibly use a correct pen and change it? Just an idea...

Hugs,

Patricia

11 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Patricia! I do believe, if I �m not mistaken, what makes a document heavy is not actually the text, but the images (pictures)... and I already tried everything I know or could think of. I needed to change and add some vocabulary words.. Cry

As a "correct pen" do you mean liquid paper? Not good idea, since the text is small, the space would not be enough for me to write in the space....

Anyway, thank you for responding to my comment!

Hug

11 Sep 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

I strongly agree with you, Mar.  It is frustrating to download a ws that you can �t use because you can �t adapt it to your needs.  However, I found a way to modify a ws - I just don �t know if I can explain because my computer skills are limited and I don �t know the correct words, but I �ll try:  Using word, I open the drawing bar (with shapes, lines...) and I use the Text  Box to cover the parts that I want to change.  Sometimes, as most wss have very little space for writing, I write the sentences again, covering the original ones.

Maybe Victor, who is always in favour of changes that improve the site, could think about the "uneditable ws" problem.

Hugs,
Anna

11 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Anna! I also thought of that option, and dear Julia also suggested that to me, but that would be so time consuming because the words I want to change are quite a few... it �s just better off to make a whole new worksheet. What makes this site so wonderful is that it HELPS you make your job EASIER.... many, many times when I need something, it �s just a click away! saves so much time for many of us. But when we have to spend so much time trying to find a way and inventing ways to adapt a non-editable worksheet, it just consumes too much of our already little time!!! I �ll just cross my fingers that the owner of the worksheet will pop in tomorrow and save my day sending the editable version!!! If not, well, I �ll change my activity in my lesson plan, or just find another way to practice what I had in mind.

Thank you, Julia, and Anna for responding!!!

11 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

Anna P with that luck you can easily and much faster create your own masterpiece rather than  overwriting somebody �s creations which is unique in its own way. There �re millions of wss on this site, so I think you can find something that suits you well.
Good luck in your endeavours!

Personally, I wouldn �t like my worksheet to be edited, changed or corrected. It �s something you created for your students and you just share it rather than being criticised whether it �s editable or not. What a big deal!

And don �t get frustrated please. Wink

11 Sep 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

mar if you really have the time you can always edit the ws if it is an image just paste the image in paint or any other image program and erase the words you ned to change, then save the imagen and insert it in your document and write whatever you need. if you need help let me know or send me a pm with the link to the ws to give you more directions

11 Sep 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Silly little Mar, can �t you stop working just a minute?

11 Sep 2011     

lady_gargara
Turkey

I uploaded such a ws before and dear Moravc warned me about this. Then  I began to convert only the images and updated my ws. If Moravc didn �t warn me I couldn �t guess that causes problems for the other teachers. Maybe s/he doesn �t know that yet.
Hope we find a solution.

Have a great Sunday! Hugs
Nebihan

11 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I just did a small experiement with a document I have and turning it into a gif image took up 60 percent less space but of course it is totally uneditable. I agree with Mar, the ws should be editable if a person wants their work not to be changed or adapted this is the wrong site. What I mostly contribute are pps ahm excuse me, PPts and they are left so that anyone who wishes can adapt them to their needs. I can �t pretend to think that my pp in Connecticut would meet the exact needs of a teacher in say Singapore. I would think the same applies to ws. ED

11 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you all who have taken the time to respond and try to help. I would like to make very clear, my comment WAS NOT meant to "criticize" the owner of the wonderful worksheet I downloaded. If If I hadn �t found it useful, I wouldn �t have downloaded it in the first place. But as I said earlier, and many of you have agreed on, I cannot, or should not, assume that my worksheets, exactly as they are, are also exactly what another teacher (I �ll use Ed �s example) in Singapore might need. This teacher might very probably need to add a little something, change something, or even take away some pictures, making a worksheet shorter, being as it is such an issue for photocopying at some schools.
Also even though we are teachers, we DO make mistakes. So for me, it is so much easier to correct the mistake myself than send a message to the owner to correct it, or make it public complaining about the mistakes. If I made THIS issue public is because as some said, sometimes the person who made the worksheet does not know it �s a problem for us who would like to adapt something. It �s totally different if you do NOT want anybody to change ANYTHING in your worksheet, then that it also respectable, but it would be nice if in the description we mention if the ws is editable or not. A lot of people already do that, and it is much appreciated, but many don �t. That will save our time knowing beforehand and we can decide if we download it or not.

Thanks again for all those who offered to help!  Special thanks also to the owner of the ws who answered my pm, unfortunately she doesn �t have the editable version, but that �s Ok, I �ll think of something else. Have a wonderful Sunday!!!

P.S., no, my sweet dear Pilar, I CANNOT stop working, it �s in my blood! LOL!!!

11 Sep 2011     

1    2    Next >