Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011    

Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011

Redbull
Thailand

Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011

I won the last phrase competition, Thank you Les Big smile.
so here is a new phrase for you to explain

England has many unusual sayings. How would you explain this one?

"It �s the dog �s bollocks".

The reason I choose this phrase is because the meaning is sooooo different from what it actually says on text!.

Now, please don �t cheat and look the phrase up before you enter your definitions.

Good luck people and wish you all the best.I will post this topic for phrase twice before I make the decision of a winner.

Redbull gives you wings you knowWink.

12 Sep 2011      

douglas
United States

I �m sorry Redbull, but I find this pic a little too disgusting and perhaps it isn �t really appropriate for the forum.

Douglas

12 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Maybe Redbull, the picture is not necessary! It prevents us from being imaginativeBig smile
So my explanation is:
You may not know but in France the testicles of roosters are considered a delicatessen (no joke!!)They are called "roupettes " de coq

so I guess dog �s bollocks are a delicatessen somewhere on this planet! Does anyone know where?

12 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

The expression is a negative reference to someone who considers himself a bit of a lovable rogue (as in �you old dog �) but actually talks utter bull***t ( �bollocks � in colloquial UK English). If, for example, some socially stunted narcissist makes a predictably feeble attempt to shock, you might say "Sorry, mate. Nobody �s impressed, so could you take your dog �s bollocks and go and play on the motorway."

12 Sep 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

Well Mariethe...u r close...not exactly a delicacy but it is some sort of drink...LOL...
redbull..is a drink sooooooo.....why can �t  dogs bollock....be one

12 Sep 2011