Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Winner of the Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011    

Winner of the Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011

Redbull
Thailand

Winner of the Phrase of the day for 12/09/2011

Thank you, to all who provided so much fun and to those who didn �t see my unorthodox ways!

The true meaning of this phrase well there isn �t one!

The reasons why the �dog �s bollocks � are considered to be the top of the tree aren �t clear. It may be linked to an associated phrase - �stand out like a dog �s balls �, i.e. �outstanding �, although I can find no evidence to indicate that phrase as being earlier than the �dog �s bollocks �. Dogs do enjoy licking their genitals of course but again, there �s no evidence that links the coining of this phrase to that. It is most likely that this is just a nonsense phrase, coined because it sounds good. In that, it would join a long list of earlier nonsense phrases, e.g. "the cat �s pyjamas".

It simply is just a slang phrase for something that is very good

Example:
This burgundy wine is the dogs bollocks meaning the wine goes down your neck in a very delicious way.

negative connotation. For example:
(1) �that �s bollocks � -> �that �s rubbish �
(2) �give him a bollocking � -> �chastise him �
(3) �He dropped a bollock � -> �he made a mistake �

The Phrase Finder and myself.

DRUMMMMMM ROOOLLLLLLLLLL!

Congratulations goes to, Valintinaper. for the entry......
Since dogs have a special way of treating their private parts (by the way, I �ll never understand how nature works!), in my mind this phrase is instantly related to a lollipop candy meant for animals!

So, it �s over to you, Valintinaper. Please Choose a Phrase for the next phrase of the day.

13 Sep 2011      

almaz
United Kingdom

Whoops!  Apologies, R**bull, but that wasn �t intended to be an entry. It was more of a cautionary observation following on from Douglas �s opinion about the picture.

I �m afraid you �re going to have to choose someone else, but perhaps next time, you might pm the �winner � - and wait for their response - before you announce it. 

EDIT: In typical R**bull fashion, he�s edited his post, so that direct responses to his original post come across as non-sequiturs. He�s a real piece of work.

13 Sep 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Sorry everybody but due to time wasting by Almaz I will have to pick a second place winner.

@Almaz please don �t make entries if you don �t intend to play the game! Wink.

13 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Actually, R**bull, I would �ve gone ahead with a contribution anyway, if I thought you really wanted it - that is, until I got your silly little infantile pm �s. You really should try to control yourself.

13 Sep 2011