Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > recently and the past perfect    

recently and the past perfect

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

recently and the past perfect

Hi my colleagues! I �m a little bit confused about the use of recently with the past perfect. I know that recently is usually used with the present perfect but is it correct to use it with the past perfect in this example:

"I received your letter last week. Thank you for he postcard. You said you had seen Angela recently, but you didn �t say how she was."

Thanks a lot for your help.

21 Sep 2011      

yanogator
United States

I would say that in a very formal situation, it would be wrong to use "recently" with the past perfect. However, in casual situations, it sounds very natural. 

John was surprised that he couldn�t find a job. He had recently been laid off, and was sure that he would have no trouble finding employment very quickly.

(A more formal wording would be "He had been laid off a short time before,...")

Bruce

21 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s reported speech. Because the reporting part of the sentence has a verb in past simple - said, the verb in the reported speech switches from present perfect to past perfect. It �s called sequence of tenses. Google reported speech and you �ll find yourself a nice grammar reference to stand on:)
Sophia 

21 Sep 2011     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Hi Bruce!
I wonder whether the use of recently with the past perfect is correct:
"I received your letter last week. Thank you for he postcard. You said you had seen Angela recently, but you didn �t say how she was."
Thank you so much.Smile

21 Sep 2011     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Hi Sophia! thanks a lot. That �s what i was thinking of.

21 Sep 2011