Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dirty words    

Dirty words

Nebal
Lebanon

Well Tere, thanks for explaining yourself again.

You know, after I read Paddy �s, Tere �s and Les � answers, I think I learned something new. In fact, I can �t imagine myself in such a position whatever the level or the needs of the students are. However, I can tell that now am more kind of ready to act if I face such a situation.

Tere, yes, culture plays a big role in such a case. Our students never dare to ask their teachers to explain dirty words though teachers do at times spot big question marks in the students � eyes.

Thanks dear colleagues for your detailed answers. Still looking forward for more and more responses.:)))

24 Sep 2011     

EnioTigre
Argentina

As Tere said we are in different cultures. here in Argentina it is very common that students ask teachers to explain those kind of words but I never teach them. However, the group I am teaching now is advance, they are old ladies who just want to know more than grammatical rules or specific vocabulary. I know that they just asked it to have fun and not to use it in every class. I �m sorry if I bother some members. 

24 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Les, I think in the context you mention, it �s understandable, as these nurses NEEDED to learn these words in order to perform their job and deal with the people they had to work with...where I and some members would not agree is where a student (regardless age) wants to learn dirty words just for fun, or just to know them.
Maybe the problem with the original post was that it was not mentioned "why" the students wanted to learn dirty words...

24 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, EnioTigre... I guess we wrote at the same time, and I did not see your post before sending mine. Don �t worry, you did not "bother" any of us, it �s just that it �s hard for teachers to imagine why students would ask a teacher to teach them that kind of vocabulary, or why some teachers would accept. Yes, culture plays an important part. But with advanced adult groups, there are so many activities you can do with them, besides grammar rules, and you can also have fun with them with lots of advanced-level games...... just search in this wonderful site and you �ll find tons of activities for all levels! JMHO...

Have a nice day!!!

24 Sep 2011     

< Previous   1    2