Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > to have got    

to have got

nemomen
Romania

to have got

25 Sep 2011      

nemomen
Romania

IS "TO HAVE GOT" WRONG?

hello everyone
please help me with this delicate problem.
I need to know if "to have got" is wrong on a grammatical level, and if only "have got" is correct.
if it is wrong, please explain.
Thank you ever so much

25 Sep 2011     

nemomen
Romania

I don �t want to refer to it in a context, just as a start title in a conjugation. Like:

to have got

I have got
You have got
etc.

:( my students made me a project and an evil colleague said it was wrong
please give me some good news

25 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Read the entries here http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/have+got#have_1__130 and you �ll see the have got is an alternative for quite a few meanings of have. you can show this to your colleague:) if that �s what you �ve been looking for... btw there�s no reason for you to call someone evil if they have a different opinion.
Sophia

25 Sep 2011     

nemomen
Romania

that is not why i call this person evil, but thanks for your opinion

25 Sep 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have got brown eyes.
I have got a red car.

You have got a great avatar.
We have got an awesome ESL website here.

No issues here with using "have got" instead of just "have".

I think it is a Br Eng thing vs an Am Eng thing.

25 Sep 2011     

yanogator
United States

Your question doesn �t seem to have been answered yet.
"Have got" is similar to a present perfect construction, and so it doesn �t have an infinitive form, so "to have got" is not correct.

Bruce

25 Sep 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

this might be useful http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv127.shtml

25 Sep 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

It may be used differently Down Under or in Britain than in the U.S.  I would not consider the two exactly interchangeable.  I think it might be quite complicated to describe the U.S.  differences.  "Have got" can sound slangy and rough at times, but "to have" on the other hand could sound overly proper (in fewer instances).  "Have got" is definitely the more casual of the two.  In a smoky bar, you would mainly hear, "Have you got a light?" while someone proper might say "Do you have a light?" The former tends to be blue collar and the latter tends to be white collar.  I might also picture the former between two men and the latter as a woman asking a man. Casual language can come across unrefined, coarse, uneducated, but at the same time it is the ultimate of cool.  A very cool woman could ask a man "Have you got a light?"  but the same would be true for a coarse woman. Not that I ever go to bars!  Also, since "have got" is casual, you would tend to say "I �ve got a red car," and "You �ve got a great avatar," rather than pronouncing each word "I have got," unless you were emphasizing these words or emphasizing the adjective.  Also "have got" would be spoken while "I have a red car" would be written.  I would expect to hear, "Hey, have you got a buck, man?" very casually; and "Do you have a dollar I could borrow?" by someone who would actually remember to pay you back. It is difficult to explain when "have got" is too casual and when "to have" is overly proper.  I would not use "have got" in a business interview. 

I have a red car. 
Does Lisa have a red one, too?
No, he �s got a black one. 

"I �ve got it!"  ... in the ball field as the ball approaches two field players. I �ve never heard ball players say, "I have it!"

Does anyone have breathmints?
Yeah, I �ve got some. 

Who can drive us?
I �ve got a car. 

Who can drive us?
Lisa has a car. 

He has an enormous house. - best use
He has got an enormous house!  - for emphasis, gossiping with friends, emphasis on �got � and �enormous. �  In this case, everyone knows I am using somewhat improper English on purpose to emphasize what I am telling as gossip.

I might say "Lisa �s got a car" very quickly because it would not sound coarse that way.  It would be said "off the cuff."  If I had to speak up and pronounce the words slowly I would only use "Lisa has a car." I would not be inclined to say all of the words "Lisa has got a car" with precision in any case I can imagine.  

There are times I will not use "have got" because it �s too coarse.  There are other times I will not use "to have" because it �s too rigid. 

25 Sep 2011     

nemomen
Romania

THANK YOU, BRUCE

25 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello, Bruce, 
You probably missed yesterday �s thread here, so as you see there exists an infinitive form of this verb. 
@nemomen: how was it used in a project you �ve mentioned? Was the project a grammar chart of some kind? Was it used as a title for a grammar chart? Then, just erase the to and it �s the end of discussion between you and your colleague. Sorry, but my question to you: how do you think it �s used (in what form) when it �s a dictionary entry?
Sophia

25 Sep 2011     

1    2    Next >