Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > To be allowed to    

To be allowed to

windflora
Turkey

To be allowed to

Hi there,
I �ve come across a sentence in a grammar book:
He wasn �t allowed to board the plane= He couldn �t board the plane (it is permission).
However, when we say;
He was allowed to see the patient, we can �t use "could" instead of "was allowed to". Can anyone tell me why it is like this?

29 Sep 2011      

mariec
Spain

We usually use was / were allowed /could in interrogative and negative sentences for permission, and was/were allowed in affirmative sentences.

If a particular action was permitted and performed we use was/were allowed instead of could,

29 Sep 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

I will tell you how it sounds to my native ear. 

When I hear, "He couldn �t board the plane," I think, "Did he not have his passport or driver �s license?"  In that case, he would not be allowed.  But there could have also been a mechanical problem with the aircraft, something blocking the entry, or maybe he was struck by fear, or else he fell in the hall and broke his leg.  There are other reasons besides permission that someone "could not" do something.  Permission is implied but these same words may be used other ways. 

When I hear, "He could board the plane," I think of his choice.  If there is no one denying permission then "could" leaves it wide open to the actor to make a decision.  Then the sentence might lead to what other choices exist.  You could still say, "He could see the patient," to indicate permission;  I, for one, give you permission.  But the word in the affirmative is more likely to express choice. 

"The visiting hours were from 5 to 6 so he could see the patient after work."

"He had lost his passport, but since he had a driver �s license he could board the plane." 

These sentences are fine. 

30 Sep 2011     

windflora
Turkey

Thank you.

2 Oct 2011