Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > storytelling 0-3    

storytelling 0-3

wende
Spain

storytelling 0-3

A couple of months ago I asked for good books for very young learners, and you helped me a lot. I have some experience in teaching children 3 to 5, but absolutely none in teaching children 0-3. I might have the opportunity to tell stories in English to children that age once a week, and  to be honest, I �m scared.  Do you have any suggestion on how to manage the activity? I can think of re-telling the story with their help, songs and puppets...
How do I manage the situation? They will be at kindergarten, and their educators will be with me, but how do I have to behave? THANK YOU, you always save my life

30 Sep 2011      

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Wende

When I read to my son (almost 3), he loves it when I pause in a sentence for him to supply the next word. This works particularly well with stories that rhyme ...

We looked and we saw him step in on the mat
We looked and we saw him, the (pause) CAT in the (pause) HAT

A mouse took a stroll in the deep, dark wood
A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked (pause) GOOD

He also likes if I ask him questions about the pictures:

What �s this?
And what �s that?
What �s the mouse doing?
How many frogs are there?  etc etc

Also - make lots of noises to bring the story alive. Pit-a-pat-a-pit-a-pat-a for the rain. A whooshing sound for the wind, car horns, animal sounds, bumps and bangs etc

Brian

30 Sep 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi teacher!
What a cute experience!! I would suggest popular nursery rhymes and finger play, puppets, big pictures, colourful objects, like balls, balloons, etc. But there is a big difference between a 7 month old child and a 2 year old one! I can �t imagine having them all together in one class???
Some of the nursery rhymes I know are:

Itsy Bitsy spider, the wheels on the bus, Pat a cake, balloons (colours), I have two little hands, Ring around the roses, Row Row your boat, Twinkle Twinkle little star ( and you could probably make a nice shining star and you could pass it around for all kids to touch it and feel it, or if they aren �t many, you could make out of foam (Goma eva)  one for each one and use them while you sing the song. Little kids love songs but they also need to see, touch and move.

I agree with the comment above about using pauses while you tell a story or sing. Since they are so little, keep a gentle and soft voice, but not that much coz they will fall asleep!

Also, there is a poem about piglets that you need to hold the child �s fingers....

This little piggie went to market,
This little piggie stayed home,
This little piggie had roast beef,
This little piggie had none,
And this little piggie cried, "Wee!
Wee! Wee!"
All the way home.

I also use a poem about a bunny. I make a circle out of card board (cartulina), I draw a bunny face on it and make two holes on top of it  to place two of my  fingers there and pretend they are the bunny�s ears, and I say the poem.
and here is the poem.... I see a little rabbit
                                           with his long big ears
                                             he stays so very still
                                            but I am sure he hears
                                            for when I say ....
                                             little rabbit stop stop stop
                                            away he goes....hop hop hop!!!
Here you make gestures like for.....little.....long big ears.....he stays still....so I stay still .... but I am sure he hears ( I try to make a naughty face because the rabbit pretends not to hear me) etc etc etc

I would love to learn others! 
Good luck!!!!!
Regards!
Jor                                          

30 Sep 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Also, you could blow bubbles, while you sing a song but I don �t know any song for it !!

30 Sep 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Something I�ve just made up, but there must be something better!!! hahah

Blow blow blow the bubbles
gently through / in the air
merrrily merrily merrily
life is but a dream!

30 Sep 2011     

nuroma
Spain

they love to listen to stories where they have to act some vocabulary while they are listening. You can use a puppet or a soft toy (Children love to kiss the pupthem or pretend to eat whatever food is in the story. Make funny voices...

30 Sep 2011     

wende
Spain

thank you so much!

30 Sep 2011