Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ask for better use    

Ask for better use

trongluan
Vietnam

Ask for better use

Dear teachers,

Would you mind helping me understand more clearly about the use of "By" for deadline time.

In Cambridge Advance Dictionary, it states that "by" is not later than, at or before. Then what is the meaning of "you must hand in your work by Friday", not later than Friday or before Friday?

Many thanks in advance.

8 Oct 2011      

Apodo
Australia

By Friday- Not later than Friday, so handing in your work on Friday is OK. Of course before Friday would be preferable.
There is often a time, eg: By 5pm on Friday. After 5pm is too late, and you would have missed your deadline.

8 Oct 2011     

remymatta
Lebanon

Hi friend,

I guess you can deal with "by...." as an expression that shows an exact deadline time. For example, if you say " I �ll have finished the project by Friday", you mean that Friday would be the project deadline time.( on that same day)

If you say " by now, you should have understood the lesson" this shows that "now" is the sufficient deadline time for understanding.

Hope this was a little helpful :)

8 Oct 2011