Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation problem    

translation problem

firstime
France

translation problem

Hi there!!
Merry Christmas to you all!!

Got a problem: I got a mail from one of my student who got a letter from an Irish pen friend, and she�s asking for help because she doesn�t understand the word "huel"... and neither do I, LOL!

Context: "Keep up the English and the best of huel" / "Best of huel in the future"

... Can anyone help?? Please???

25 Dec 2008      

jecika
Serbia

Hello firstime,
I have just gone through all the dictionaries I�ve got and there is no such word in any of them ... I was also trying to find it in online dictionaries ... but again ... nothing

Is it possible that your student�s penfriend is called Huel?

Best of luck

25 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

Hi!

So that�s what we are doing on Christmas day, isn�t it? LOL teachers at any time of the year.
I also looked for HUEL, but nothing. Maybe he just mispelled it...twice?

25 Dec 2008     

jecika
Serbia

Hi Domnitza,
you might be right ... but I found lots of people on the Internet whose either first or family name is Huel ... I don�t know Ermm ... maybe some of the native speakers could be of more help

25 Dec 2008     

apayala
Spain

What about getting into an Irish Chat room and asking Irish people? Have a try!
Merry Christmas to all of you

25 Dec 2008     

firstime
France

Thanks for all your answers and your dictionariesLOL!! (I�m not at home, and I didn�t take my dics with me!!).
Yeah, must have made a spelling mistake, or the girl just misread a letter or something... or maybe it�s just Irish!! I�ll tell you more when I finally solve this mystery!!

25 Dec 2008     

Helen McK
Ireland

Hiya,

I�m Irish and I have no idea what �huel� is either. Smile  My guess though is that this person was referring to Yuletide, meaning the Christmas season.

Happy Christmas

25 Dec 2008     

arkel
Ireland

I can�t believe we�re all here on Christmas Day!!! I�m waiting for my turkey to finish cooking. The smells coming from the kitchen are mouthwatering. I�m Irish and I never heard of that word. It sounds like a misprint to me, but I can�t think of what it could be. HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYBODY.

25 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Perhaps they meant Yule!

25 Dec 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If your  friend is Irish it may be a word in  Gaelic .

25 Dec 2008     

eaglestar
Philippines

I vote for Yule! Great guess, libertybelle and Helen McK.Thumbs Up

25 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >