Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New Years Eve/Day Traditions    

New Years Eve/Day Traditions

ESL
United States

New Years Eve/Day Traditions

Hi Everyone-

I would like to start a new traditio with my daughter. I remember one of my adults students saying something about grapes. I have tried to look through my unit on customs, but can not seem to find it. Anyone know about this?

I am interested in finding out what other countries do for New Years.

In American, it is usually football (GO BEARS!!!), family, and friends.

25 Dec 2008      

gaby_mn
United States

Hi Miss ESL

I know in some parts of Mexico we have the grape tradition. To the best of my knowledge (from what I remember when I was young), you prepare 12 grapes for each person, before midnight, you ask for one wish per grape, then, as the clock strikes 12, you eat each grape (and try not to choke in the process):)

I know in some parts people wear red underwear (dont really know why)

25 Dec 2008     

atsitab
Portugal

Hi!

In Portugal we also have the tradition of eating 12 grapes (dry ones), one each second before midnight.  the last one is when the clok strikes for midnight.  We ask one wish for each grape.
We also have the tradition of wearing a new piece of clothes (or shoes) in new year, but it doesn�t have to be underwear and it doesn�t have to be red.

Merry Chrismtas and Happy New Year from Portugal!

25 Dec 2008     

Kita19
Portugal

Hi there!
gaby_mn is right. We have that tradition with grapes (dried grapes or raisins) in Portugal. Many people here do that in New Year�s Eve before midnight. We have 12 dried grapes (1 for each month of the year) and when it is midnight we eat them all. I usually don�t have enough patience to make a wish per grape, so I think of one or two wishes and eat all the grapes! lolol LOL

We also have a tradition, which is unfortunately becoming very rare nowadays Unhappy in some parts of the country. People in groups go from house to house singing New Year�s songs in New Year�s Eve. They are called "Janeiras". In some of these songs we wish good things to people living in that house. They collect money in each house for singing, but the ancient tradition was some types of food. Mainly children do this. Then on the 6th January (the night from 5th to 6th) there is also the same tradition, because is The Three Wise Men�s Day. Only the songs are different, all dealing with The Wise Men who came to visit baby Jesus. All people in the group (in both days) at the end of the night divide what they have collected.

I found it funny when gaby_mn said that in some parts people wear red underwear, because, as far as I know, in Portugal people usually say that it brings good luck to wear a blue underwear (in the first day of the year, I think). It�s funny to know that in other places there is also the red colour. LOL I�m wondering if there are other countries where some colour is said to bring good luck in the beginning of the new year...

I also found a website, which you may find useful. It describes New Year�s traditions in many countries of the world. http://www.fathertimes.net/traditions.htm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Portuguese greetings! Hug

Kita

25 Dec 2008     

arkel
Ireland

Hi everyone, here in Spain there�s a tradition of eating fresh grapes at midnight. the clock first strikes the �cuartos� then at every chime (12) you eat a grape. It�s not that difficult if you have everything prepared beforehand. Some people like to deseed them. The red underwear is also a tradition here, but I don�t know why and people also put something gold (a ring, for example,) in their glass of champagne. In Ireland we link hands and sing Auld Lang Syne at midnight.

25 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

If you speak (or read) Spanish you may read something here or in other sites:

I don�t have that custom but it seem that you have to eat the 12 grapes to have good luck during the following year.

In Argentina the custom of giving a pink panty as a present is strong. You receive it at christmas from a woman who shares the christmas dinner with you and then you wear it for new year. Today I have learnt that pink anticipates good luck in love and a red one is for passion.

We don�t have the tradition of wearing any other colours but this article says that  white is for peace and hapiness, blue for health and yellow, which is the most popular color in Brazil, Venezuela and Peru. Lima, Peru, is  worn for prosperity -- work, money and success.

Here you have the link:

26 Dec 2008     

Anna P
Brazil

Here in Rio de Janeiro we wear white clothes on New Year�s Eve, which we call Reveillon.  We go to the beach and, at the shore, jump over seven waves. We also have the tradition of eating fresh green grapes. Another custom is to eat a pomegranate and keep 12 of the seeds, wrapped in tissue paper, in the wallet. Some people, regardless of their religious faith, throw white flowers in the ocean, to honour the sea goddess Yemanj� (a tradition inherited from Africans).

Thousands of people, most wearing white, gather at Copacabana beach to see the fireworks at midnight.

26 Dec 2008     

ESL
United States

Ok - I love to read about the traditions, but the underwear thing make me blush!Embarrassed

26 Dec 2008     

yingying
China

In China , Taiwan and Hong Kong, traditionally, we do buy new clothes and underwear for the Chinese New Year which falls on 26th January this year. And we will buy no other colour but RED, because it has symbolic meaning of having good luck. Remember , never wear white, blue or green, because these three colours are for furneral only. Actually, what we eat at the Chinese New Year means differently. Of course, these kinds of food may seem quite strange to you, but they are all served in one tray or box for guests to eat. And we do visit all relatives at the Chinese New Year. So, it is a big family gathering. If you like to know more about the symbolic meaning of Chinese food, you can take a look of my contribution on 24th December.

26 Dec 2008