Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOW "Heads or Tails?"    

WOW "Heads or Tails?"

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WOW "Heads or Tails?"

Thank you, Ed, for choosing me as the Winner of WOW!

Are you ready, Members, for, �WOW� --- the �Word of the Weekend�?

What does the expression: �Heads or Tails� mean?

Who would you use it?

Where?

When?

Why?

How?

Moreover, what does: �I can�t make Head nor Tail of it!� mean?

What are they talking about?  �Head�?  �Tail?�

Yes!  I am aware that all native English Speakers understand the expression.  I also know that everyone who has the English �IDIOM� qualification --- �International Diploma for Interpreting Obscure Meanings� --- can give us the correct definition in under 3 nanoseconds.

But we don�t want the correct definition!

Didactics demands droll, daft, dopey descriptions.

We need zany resolutions which zealously ooze whiz.  We desire zillions of dozy, crazy, snazzy, bizarre, king-size, quizzical, razzmatazz resolutions.  So, there isn�t time to snooze, doze, or zizz!

If you include inane, idiotic, or infantile illustrations --- fantabuloso!  

When the Winner is announced, you will discover the meanings of these phrases.

All the Best!

Les

22 Oct 2011      

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

When we want to add some meat in the soup we ASK OUR CHILDREN: "HEAD OR TAIL?"Geek

22 Oct 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Earthworm mom to earthworm dad: "Did you see our dear Lucy �s new boyfriend?"
Piercings both above and below the midriff, I don �t know...maybe I �m old fashioned but I can �t make head nor tail of it! I don�t know which end to talk to!

22 Oct 2011     

Elenie
Greece

Monster mum said to Monster dad: " I can �t stand you anymore! You think everything is yours! Now this 100head-100tails pet is mine...not yours...."
"Dream on sugar..."he replied..."it �s mine"
"Forget about it! We �ll split it! Choose! HEADS OR TAILS!"

22 Oct 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Heads or tails is a worst-case scenario when a conductor of the orchestra forgets to put on his tails Men ´s International Standard and American Smooth - Tail Suits  that generally keeps him upright and helps to unify the performers. The performers in that case have got nothing to do as to bow their heads and pray no to look at the Mr. Conductor since his movements are very unusual. Free from a restraining tailscoat, a conductor bends over backwards to �communicate � with the performers by tickling their noses, tapping on their heads and sometimes whispering something in their ears. That artistic directions are alien for the musicians and they christened that conducting "heads or tails" meaning who wins-- the conductor with his "eccentric behavior � � or the performers just playing on their own chanting their well-made rhythmic prayer and thus preventing the perfomance from being a flop.

23 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

"I can �t make Head nor Tail of it !" in English and in French "to be as stupid as a foot !"

I mean that when you are unable to express clearly the things and that you speak only nonsense you say things with no beginning of reasoning or end of demonstration. You say things with no head (beginning) nor tail (logical end). So when the listener is trying to understand he is only lost in labyrinth of foggy thoughts... No door to come in nor door to come out... Where is Ariane and her thread ????

I would have liked to insert a drawing of mine but I am afraid I do not know how to do here... What a pity as a good picture is worth 1,000 addresses !

Bah ! I am sure my little speech has got an introduction and a conclusion !

23 Oct 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Maryse, very good example. It resonated somehow with me. Back in my "childhood", at the University, the teacher couldn �t figure out what I was writing about -- no heads, no tails. He turned the paper over and over, hoping, the poor one, that it would help him to find the body:)) He got so upset, that eventually he quit and made a good police officer:)) Can you believe that nonsence, but it �s true! It �s always good to have two professions.
P.S. Les, that is not an entry, just a reminiscence of the past
Ok, gotta get back to my pumpkins :)

23 Oct 2011