Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Does it really happen in Italy?    

Does it really happen in Italy?

class centre
Belarus

Does it really happen in Italy?

The suspended coffee.

� We enter into a cafe next to the train station. After  us  two people enter and say: � Five coffees! � We�ll drink two of them  now,  and the three are suspended �. They go to pay and pay for five coffees. Then they drink two and leave. I ask my friend  " What is that  suspended coffee? " He says: "Wait". Other people  enter: girls drink the coffee and pay properly. Three lawyers then enter, order seven coffees: � Four suspended �. They pay for seven, drink three and leave. And a young man orders two coffees, only one coffee he drinks, but pays for two and leaves. So we  sit and  talk till late noon. The doors open, I look at this area full of sunshine. And suddenly I see a dark shadow which is coming close to the  door. When it is already at the door of the bar, I see  that it is a poor man. The poor man looks into the cafe and asks: � Is there a suspended coffee? � The owner says �yes� and the poor man drinks his coffee. Now I understand what the suspended coffee means! 

It is a wonderful  kind of charity which has come from Naples. They leave suspended  not only coffee, but also meal. It is hard to imagine  it in our country. And it is a pity. What a beautiful tradition!

23 Oct 2011      

rdaporta
Spain

Wow. Love it!!!

23 Oct 2011     

manusyasya
Ukraine

Great! I wish we had traditions like that.

23 Oct 2011     

silvia.patti
Italy

I live in Italy but it �s the first time I hear such a thing... Really nice if it �s true

23 Oct 2011     

class centre
Belarus

Tonino Guerra told this story to Radio Moscow. The friend he was sitting in the bar with was Vittorio de Sicca...

23 Oct 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

I was very surprised to read it! Never herad about it! My husband just said"Oh, pleople think about other people!"
Great!!!
Thank you for sharing this info!

23 Oct 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Amazing custom! Thanks for sharing it!Thumbs UpThat could help so many people, couldn �t it?

Teresa

23 Oct 2011     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

I wish we did this kind of things....
In many restaurants and cafes beggars are forbidden to enter and if they go in they are invited to leave....

We all should think about this and.... post it on the school board... why not?

Have a nice Sunday

23 Oct 2011     

altanazaplar
Turkey

We have the same application in baker �s in Turkey. People buy more bread than they need and hang the extra ones on the clothes hanger on the wall provided by the baker. People in need can come and take as much bread as they want  from the hanger for free.

23 Oct 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Hi, this tradition is very strong in Naples, but in other towns and cities of south Italy as well. I don �t know if in the north of my Country people do it because I �m from Sicily and I visited South more than North. I �m used to buy one coffee and  leave another suspended.
Ciao

23 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

My Italian roots are strong but as I am from Northern Italy I did not know this kind custom.

Thanks for sharing !

Mariannina, tss tss... hiding such interesting things from us !!!

23 Oct 2011     

1    2    Next >