Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Present Perfect Passive    

Present Perfect Passive

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Present Perfect Passive

Hello, I �ve got a problem and I hope you can help me. I teach in a school where we have to use a Blackboard. This blackboard "guides" us (teachers) to teach our students. However I �ve found many mistakes or at least that �s what I think. This is an example:

The present perfect passive voice continuous is formed as follows:

Subject + have/has + being + participle

Example:

The students have being called to take the exam.

As far as I know after the auxiliary have the verb must be in past participle since it �s a perfect tense. Am I wrong? I think they got confused with the present continuous passive.

I �d love to know what you think I should do and specially if I �m mistaken.

thank you so much for your help.

Bere

25 Oct 2011      

douglas
United States

You are right!
The students have been called to take the exam.

25 Oct 2011     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

As far as I know you can �t form passive in present perfect continuous, in past perfect continuous, in future perfect continuous and in future continuous.
That �s why you are right and Douglas wrote the correct answer.

25 Oct 2011     

laurike
Lithuania

I would say - have been called. It is a mistake, I think

25 Oct 2011     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Thank you so much for your help. Thumbs Up
Bere

25 Oct 2011     

yanogator
United States

Actually, in limited situations you can have a present perfect continuous passive.

Each day, a few students have been being called to the office at specific times.

It �s a very awkward construction, but it �s correct. The slight difference in meaning is that it shows an ongoing process, that will probably continue into the future, whereas "have been called" just takes us up to the present time.

Bruce

25 Oct 2011     

isa2
Austria

You are perfectly right. This rule is definitely wrong.

The Present Perfect SIMPLE and CONTINUOUS are formed like this:

e.g. I have been/ She has been driven to the airport. (HAVE/HAS BEEN + past participle)

e.g. I have been/ She has been being driven to the airport. (HAVE/HAS BEEN + BEING+ past participle)

Best regards
Isa

25 Oct 2011