Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > When in doubt, pinky out    

When in doubt, pinky out

teacher jessie
Argentina

When in doubt, pinky out

What �s the meaning of "pinky out" in this phrase?

30 Oct 2011      

isa2
Austria

This can be used to describe something, or used in place of "goodbye." When used the second way, it is akin to Ron Burgundy �s "Stay Classy."

"Hey man, I got my car painted." guy 1
"Oh really man?" guy 2
"Yeah, pearlescent white." guy 1
"Dude, sounds pinky out." guy 2

"Later, man." guy 1
"Pinky out, bro." guy 2.

from: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pinky%20out

Hope I could be of help.

30 Oct 2011     

teacher jessie
Argentina

Thanks, isa2. I found that definition, but I don �t get what it means in this context : When in doubt, pinky out.
maybe: if you have a doubt, don �t ask.
I �m not sure, what do you think?

30 Oct 2011     

isa2
Austria

"When in doubt, pinky out" implies that the more fancy and upscale you are, the more you stick that pinky out. The original quote is by Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants.

30 Oct 2011     

isa2
Austria

Can you tell me in what context you read/ heard this sentence?
Maybe this will help to find a clearer definition.

30 Oct 2011     

isa2
Austria

There is a saying which backdates to the middle of the 18th century in England, when tea was at its most popular there. In the upper class circles of 18th century England, an etiquette around drinking tea had developed which entailed the use of all sorts of weird paraphernalia and required the feminine drinker to abandon the use of her smallest finger (pinky). This abandonment demonstrated her delicate, fragile nature. The saying, "When in doubt, pinky out", came to be a phrase which both educated the lower classes of accepted etiquette and mocked it for it �s pretentiousness.

30 Oct 2011     

teacher jessie
Argentina

Many thanks Isa2, now it �s clear.

31 Oct 2011