Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > We went fo a two-minute walk vs We went for a walk for two minutes    

We went fo a two-minute walk vs We went for a walk for two minutes

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

We went fo a two-minute walk vs We went for a walk for two minutes

Hi everyone,

I have never had to explain this structure to my students and I feel it is a quite ususeful one. In one FCE examination students are asked to rewrite a sentence using this structure but I do not know how to deal with it. We turn a noun into an adjective and we join both with a hyphen: a long-sleeved shirt; high-heeled shoes; a two-year-old girl ... Since we turn a noun into an adjective, in the above given example we mustn �t add an "s" since adjectives are always singular. I have tried to look for more info about this structure but don �t know how to do it. Are there any worksheets about this structure in ESL? Is my explanation right? Have I missed any exception or detail?

Thanks in advance.

30 Oct 2011