Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Reported Contributions - Thank you for answering    

Reported Contributions - Thank you for answering

xani
Portugal

Reported Contributions - Thank you for answering

Dear friends,

First of all I would like to say a special thank you to all the members who answered to my post yesterday. When I wrote the post I didn�t mean to start a quarrel about being a newbie or not, because I think that doesn�t make the difference as long as everyone respects each other�s work and act according to the rules. My intention was not to make anyone change his/her point of view on this issue just because of the points I have or for contributing more or less than others�

As I wrote in the previous post, I just wanted to have some opinions on what was considered �a contribution 100% in English language�. From my point of view the most important things in a worksheet are the exercises and the instructions to the students (and those were all in English) and not a mere identification of the grade or the name of the school where we teach. Like the worksheets that were reported in the last few days, I think that I probably have some more, among my older contributions, that have the name of my school and they weren�t reported� and this made me feel even more confused.

I think that when you do your best you expect to get the credit for that� Like many other members here in ESLprintables, I have always thought of this site as a place where we can all share our ideas and our work� like many others, I think, only asking for recognition and a little respect for our work and for all the time we spend preparing it.

I just felt a bit sad Unhappy for not having the opportunity to, at least, have some words explaining why my worksheets were being reported or warning me about the situation� I just got them when I reacted writing a comment in the reporting page.

Sorry if I offended anyone� That wasn�t my intention� Like someone said 100% is not 99% and, even if I don�t agree 100% with this rule, I think I will have to follow it, like any other member in this site.

With all respect,

Sandra Mendon�a (Xani)

31 Oct 2011      

cagreis
Portugal

I really don �t understand this... there seem to be members who are so eager to report others ws. I have to agree with Xani. To report a ws just because it contains the name of the school in our native language seems a bit over the top. There are hundreds of ws which have occasionally a word in a language other than English. BUT IS THAT A PROBLEM WHEN WE CAN EASILY CHANGE IT??? IS THAT SO DIFFICULT??? I usually don �t report these things even when it contains something WHICH GOES AGAINST THE RULES.
I think we should all try to do our best instead of pointing fingers.
Kind regards to all members who kindly share their hard work here.
Carlos

31 Oct 2011     

abdel
Morocco

xani & cagreis are just great! why do humans have frailties? in today �s world you cannot possibly say whether this belongs to x or to y! we share knowledge; we do our best; we develop our teaching ways! THAT IS SO GREAT I GUESS. most of what we do , or part of it belongs to others we don �t know. yet, it helps our kids and that �s the most important thing. you might come up with some work and never know it was used before. then, it turns out it was used! IS THAT KINDA PLAGIARISM? i guess not. for in this global world, we can talk about GLOBAL TEACHING too. thanks for listening!MOTTO  for this site: " POINTING FINGERS  will lead nowhere in TEACHING."  love u all.

1 Nov 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

I have a question and a comment about that post.

First, the comment. @ Cagreis, as far as I understand, the reporting was not because of the name of the school. I believe it was for a title or instructions. Am I wrong? I did see a worksheet of Xani with a title in Portuguese or another language.

Questions @ Xani: Someone said that you were the one who reported your own sheet in your previous post. Is that true?

Finally, like I said in the other post, I do appreciate your work and would not want to see you go or get your account cancelled. 

Have a good evening!

1 Nov 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i didnt see what other moderators said but although i dont agree with the rule either, i do think that many ws have been removed because of a single word in another language so then all should be treated equally. i do not agree this time with cagreis because if there is no problem with the person who downloads the ws with erasing the word(s) in another language then i shouldnt be a problem with the person who upload to remove the word and re upload the ws again. i mean, is not like the ws is reported as a copy, so removing it because of a word(s) wont harm the member who uploaded it. i dont mean to be rude but i really dont see the issue, i do respect and value xani �s work but i also think that all of our ws should be treated the same, if one goes then the others too, especially when we have to consider that not all ws are editable so if we allow a ws with a school name or anything else in another language and it is not editable then we wont be able to fix it.  

1 Nov 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Lots of people here are really busy - and a word or two in another language
might not be seen by the teacher - but will be seen by the students.
I �ve experienced this and my students were confused.

This site is for worksheets in English, that is what this site is all about, - and helping
other busy and often stressed teachers out with extra materials.

It doesn �t take the contributor more than a minute or two to check his or her contribution and delete non-English words.
It does take us others,  longer to hunt for spelling, grammar and language mistakes.
so let �s just make life easier for each - that �s my humble opinion.

Have a good dayHeart
Libertybelle

1 Nov 2011     

cagreis
Portugal

You �re right Liberty ... we are ALL busy teachers... but when I download a ws I read it very carefully before handing it our to my students. Sometimes I find some minor mistakes (grammar or spelling) or something I don �t like or find too difficult  ... so what I do is to ADAPT it to my students � level. Yes, it takes some time... but I wouldn �t dream of giving my students a ws that I hadn �t read myself. But that �s just me.
Of course I would make our job so much easier if all contributions were flawless... but that is rarely the case. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES. Even I find in my own ws occasionally a mistake even though I review it over and over again before uploading. This is why I think members should make their ws editable.

1 Nov 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Sandra

Frst, I do appreciate your wonderful work
Second, we have rules
Third, let �s imagine I see a wonderful printable, I check it two or five minutes in advance of having a substitution lesson,
Let �s imagine it has a few words written in a different language ( in pour case, neither Portuguese, nor English ) . Imagine it has sometinh written in Russian, or Arabic ( completely out of understanding for us, Portuguese teachers ).

It can have some disruptive words, which we don �t  even fancy.

This site has been, for me, a printable bank when I need some work ready in five minutes ( Yes, here, we are obliged to give lessons to students we don �t know, never met before, but, we are called in the last minute - many times I check what they are studying and I open esl.printables to get something ready in hand to give them a lesson. What if one of this printable has something written I don �t agree with, or, may be I have some parents who may know that language and don �t agree? How can I explain that I have printed a worksheet with something written I had no idea what it meant.

May be the rules are not good, but they have been discussed herre, Sandra.
If you are a part of this site, you must know the rules.

I agree, what your printable had in Portuguese was a simple sentence, harmless, for us, Sandra, who know what was written there, for our pupils, who wouldn �t   even notice.
But the rules say and we obey.
Or not, Sandra, it �s on your side now, you can raise a debate about this.
My opinion, you over reacted, and I do understand you - someone who has been, for so long, such a dedicated member, I know, when we work and work and give our best, we do want a more fair treatment. But, there isn �t such a thing - here, fortunately, we all, all of us, are equal. we do deserve the same kind of reaction.

It was not your fault, but it was your little distraction - I know you feel frustrated. I ahve already got my printables reported and I know it is a BIG apple to eat.

Sandra, sleep well, sleep to the best side in yourpillow, and be sure, we alllove and admire your work - and BE SURE,SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE ALWAYS IN A HURRY TO REPORT -  LOL

Show them they can �t beat you.....you are stronger, you ae Portuguese, obviously. Portuguese people go wherever and Portuguese teachers are a MUST   Hug

Love you, always on your side

Hugs

Linda

( hope there are not many typos ---- ( ???? )

See u

1 Nov 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I never ever report a work sheet!
When it comes to downloading other people �s work I just check it first and feel really happy that someone has taken time to prepare some good material that will save me time!
Why should it be other people �s fault all the time?I , as a responsible teacher take the responsibility to check the work I give my students. If I download a ws which is not suitable, it is my responsibility, so I start again!Smile And I do get angry sometimes, at me for not checking thoroughly! I am more interested in contents: if I see mistakes , it bothers me more than other aspects so  I don �t download, that �s all!
When a newbie makes an error, I pm her/him. I didn �t check the contributions recently ( didn �t need any!) Had  I noticed the ws,  I guess i would have pm �ed the person whether it was xani or a newbie! I have been known here for defending lost causes concerning newbies most of the time!  So it is not a question of how long you have been a member but just a question of consideration and responsibility.
Just my opinion, of course!and have anice day!Big smile

1 Nov 2011     

treasure0911
France

I wanted to repeat my message here for those who did not go back to the previous post:

For Lucetta especially: I didn�t think I had offended anyone or otherwise please accept my apologies. I was just giving my opinion like the rest of you and I thought I could.
When I was talking about "intelligence can do the rest", I meant I understood the rules very well but I thought everyone was free to judge which rule was broken and how much and then consider reporting it or sending a PM.
I personally quite often download WS that are not "perfect" and do not report them because I think that if I thought it worth being downloaded at least once, I do not see why the person would not get the credit for it; but it �s my call.
This site is great but it �s not here to do the job for us, just to help so it �s a little effort just to have to change a few words.

I think the way we deal with the rules depends on our personality.

Once again sorry if I have offended anyone and may this site last forever!

PS: I DO agree ALL worksheets should be editable though.

1 Nov 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Well, I suppose there is a considerable number of worksheets with one or three non-English words so not all printables get reported.
The worksheet is reported only if the downloader takes the time to find the source link and click the "send report" button. I usually read the pritable weeks  after download, so I don �t remember the author any more so they are safe. :-D The printables are editable and we should check them before using them at school...
On the other hand, some words might be confusing or even offending so it is true that 1-5 words CAN do harm. Students / parents tend to spot what we overlooked (as Libertibelle pointed out) so it might be "dangerous" to leave foreign words in the worksheets.
Worksheets full of typos and mistakes bother me much more...
I feel sorry for you Xani but please do not feel offended and reupload the worksheet please. I would love to download it and I am sure there are more members waiting in a queue for your printables. :-D
Hugs, Moravc.

1 Nov 2011