Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with vocabulary!    

Help with vocabulary!

perma
Greece

Help with vocabulary!

Good evening! - morning or whatever in your part of the world!

Just a quickie:
One of my students has included the following sentence in the plot of a film: "In the meantime the villagers invade the castle" 
What can we use instead of invade? What actually happens is, a mob of villagers break down the castle door and go in. Can you think of a single verb to say that? My mind is stuck.

Thanks in advance!

8 Nov 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Perma,

"In the meantime, the villagers invade the castle".

I would suggest:

"In the meantime, the villagers storm the castle".
"In the meantime, the villagers seize the castle".
"In the meantime, the villagers take the castle".
"In the meantime, the villagers capture the castle".

I prefer the first of these four.

Les

8 Nov 2011     

perma
Greece

Hi Les!
Thanks for answering.
In the meantime my mind got unstuck and came up with a couple ideas Smile

Can we say "they barged into the castle
or "they forced their way in the castle"?
Because I think that describes the scene better. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeGlxcZkfDo&feature=related   at 8 �.30!

Ill go to bed now and check back in the morning Smile

9 Nov 2011     

ammoura 23
Tunisia

Hi Perma!
"They barged into the castle" is suitable. maybe you can use "they took over the castle" 

Ammoura 23

9 Nov 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Perma,

You did say "A SINGLE verb", by which I assimed that you meant "A one-word verb".

You can use a variety of phrases.

"They barged into the castle", suggests that they entered roughly and in a bad-mannered fashion, uninvited.  This is similar to: "They weren �t invited, but they barged into the Private Party".

The villagers did not: "storm/seize/take/capture" the castle, because they appear to commandeer one room only. 

"The mob of villagers forced their way into the castle", is much better, because they broke down the door, and forced their way through the castle, to where they wanted to go.

Les

9 Nov 2011     

perma
Greece

Thank you both Smile

Les, it �s true I asked for a single verb, because at first I could only describe what happened in longer sentences and I was sure that there must be a single verb for it! 

"Forced their way" seems to be suitable. However your first suggestions were very interesting, particularly "storm the castle", which I �d never think of myself.

Thanks again!

9 Nov 2011