Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A bit more about you    

A bit more about you

kinho
Brazil

A bit more about you

Hi everybody!!! hope u are all well!! I was wondering if u could answer me... I was thinking about us, teachers in general, and got really curious about what you have studied to become the teachers you are today,I mean, what kind of courses, degrees u have taken and so on... Could you tell me? Well, before starting the college I studied English in a language course and loved it, so I decided to study more to become a translator, but in fact I became a ... Teacher!!! Big hug for u all ..............!! Smile

10 Nov 2011      

MoodyMoody
United States

My MA is in Speech Pathology, but I never finished my licensing requirements because of personal problems at the time. I started volunteering at an ESOL class at the local community college. The teacher quit. The school found a new teacher. The new teacher found a better job. At 4:00 p.m. Friday, with class due to start at 9:00 a.m. Monday, I got a call from the head of the department offering me the job. I �m still teaching for the community college in ESOL 12 years later, although not the exact same class.

10 Nov 2011     

ALI ALI
Egypt

I used to study in an international school, then I studied translation and literature at university and after graduation, I took  the TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) then after I started teaching I was curious to Know why children behaved in certain situations so I studied child psychology in the American university in Egypt.
Thanks , Amira   

10 Nov 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

I did a BA in Education in London. Four years training to be a primary school teacher. I also did my CELTA in London before moving to Thailand to teach English.

10 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

I have associates degrees in electronics, management, and teaching was working on a bachelor �s in English/psychology, but life stepped-in and I never finished it. At the time I was about 3 courses from finished-with the new catalog I guess I need about 6 more now. 

I spent 13 years teaching various topics in Germany (everything from grammar to marksmanship) and was in the  US job hunting when a friend called me fromn Germany asking if I thought I could teach English--6 weeks later I started teaching my first ESL course and have been teaching fulltime ever since.

Douglas

10 Nov 2011     

Pauline Burke MSc
Spain

My background is in manufacturing. I went back to work after my first two children went to school and took every course going. I have a Master of Science degree in Quality Management and improvement. I was senior quality engineer for an international company in the UK.  I moved to Spain in 2009 when the crises hit Ireland full on, with no clear plans. I had my first novel published that year as well.  Luckily, I got work teaching English in an English Academy after school hours. I have a little boy of seven and he comes to the academy on a private bus after school. He then goes to playschool, Judo, or joins in the classes. I jumped in at the deep end, didn�t know my adverb from my adjective! I had to learn how to teach English on the job and very quickly. I enjoy working with the children, they can be very funny and full of energy. The problem I have is that I fundamentally disagree with the way that English is taught in Spain, through Spanish. I find that children who�ve been learning English at school can�t speak a word of it. They know vocabulary, can read and write, go through a worksheet in a few minutes, but can�t string a sentence together.  Also, in my experience, most of the work is aimed at getting children through their school exams and not aimed at learning and enjoying English. Thirdly, the children here have to learn Valencian (their local language), Castellano (Spanish) and English. Secondary school students often do French, Italian or Latin as well. A lot for a 12 year old!

10 Nov 2011     

lili27
Spain

Hi Pauline, I have read your piece of writing and I �m sorry to say that I strongly desagree. I �ve been studying English for more than 10 years now as any other Spanish person (I �ve a Primary English degree in teaching), and I try to encourage my ss to speak in English from a very early stage, I also try to speak in English most of the time in my classes and Although I live in a catalan country, it �s not a problem for them, on the contrast learning catalan helps them to understand words in English. Most of my ss are between 7 to 11 years old and I �m happy to say that they can understand English quite well and at the age of 10 they start speaking in English to me. We shouldn �t forget that learning a language is a dificult task and  they are sometimes ashame to do it in front of their classmates. The problem is that there are lot of teachers of "the old school" in our education system and we have to wait until they are retired to see how things change. I �m sure that we will see how new generations in Spain have a competitive level in English. I �ve lots of ss that do not only English but also Science or Art are taught in English, what I find essential if we want to improve the level of English of our learners. In our hands is the secret for changing the education system in Spain.

10 Nov 2011     

kinho
Brazil

That�s great reading your posts!! Please, let me know more.... Where�s Les, Mena, Mada, Mabdel, Teresa, Liliaamalia and David and .....???

10 Nov 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

Well, I started learning English in a private school at the age of 9 and got my proficience certificate at the age of 15. At that time it was out of the question for me  becoming an        English teacher. I wanted to be a captain and travel all around the world or a lawyer and save the world or an archeaologist and discover the world. Then when time came and I had to sit for my university exams I chose as my first preference English Language and Literature. And that �s how it all began. I completed my studies at the university got my teaching licence and then I took several seminars in London �s International House and then moved on to doing the RSA Diploma Course which I got with a distinction in Language. I have been teaching for about 15 years now and I wouldn �t change it for the world!

10 Nov 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

I did a bachelor in Education for kindergarten and elementary in the late 80s. After two years,I was out of a job. Since I always checked the box "ESL" when I was substituting, the schoolboard offered me a position in ESL, elementary. With bills to pay and a heavy heart, I accepted. Flashforward one year: I �m back in the schoolboard begging them to let me stay there. I went back to school on the weekends to complete my qualification in teaching ESL and 20 years later, I �m still there.

Now, I �m the person responsible for ESL at my schoolboard. I accompany student-teachers and sometimes give courses at university.  But  what I love most is going back to my elementary students. I now teach grades 1 to 6.

10 Nov 2011     

kinho
Brazil

Great to hear from you dear friends!!! Ah!! Lilia...So interesting stories!!! Manonski, so beautiful!!! I�m waiting for more!!!!! Please check the post.... For the ones who kindly replied my post, many many thanks!!! And a big hug!!!

10 Nov 2011