Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is a chik-chak? Bird or Gecko? Pictures?!?    

What is a chik-chak? Bird or Gecko? Pictures?!?

babystudent
Germany

What is a chik-chak? Bird or Gecko? Pictures?!?

HI!

I really need your help.
In Somerset Maugham �s short story: The Force of Circumstance, there is a chik-chak as a Leitmotif. As one book for teachers stated it is supposed to be a bird, which can be regarded as a bad omen. However I cannot find any evidenve for this on the Internet. There are no pictures and the funny/strange thing is- apart form the explanation in the teacher �s guide, some people on the net stated that it is a gecko?!?
Besides, I �d love to have a picture of it, in order to show it to my students!

Thanks for helping!
Diana

15 Nov 2011      

maryse pey�
France

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxymrcroup/5963677133/

There is a nice picture here.

15 Nov 2011     

babystudent
Germany

Thank you very much!

15 Nov 2011     

Jayho
Australia

There wasn�t a sound in the bungalow except now and then the croak of the chik-chak. It used to come out of the silence, suddenly, so that it made me jump.

It�s one of those little lizards commonly called house geckos.  Apart from Maryse�s link you can also see a close up picture and listen to the little clicking sound it makes here.  These little critters are very common in my neck of the woods (and elsewhere in the world too) and I have seen them near my classroom from time to time.

You can read more about them, and why they are called Chick-Chacks (and a host of other names), at Wikipedia

Cheers

Jayho

15 Nov 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Oh that is soo funny, in Hebrew (slang) it means �quickly � as in �Let �s do this chik-chak �.

15 Nov 2011     

babystudent
Germany

Thank you for all your help! Have a wonderful evening!

15 Nov 2011