Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Conversation course -resources    

Conversation course -resources

caritush
Argentina

Conversation course -resources

Hi everybody, a friend of mine mentioned that she as well as some of her friends (some of them i know, others i don�t) would like to practice speaking in english, and said that i could come up with a small conversation course so that they could all practice and improve their fluency. These people are around my age, 21, and most of them have an advanced level.. they have taken the first certificate and some even the CAE exams.. so basically they would like to improve fluency and possibly learn expressions used by natives etc.

I thought of working with short stories, you know, reading them and then discussing the story and whatever issues dealt with in the story.. but the idea doesn�t really appeal to these people, i need something fresher "cooler" if you wish (discussing the news is also out of the question). At the same time it cant be something very structured and didactic, like typical textbook.. bc i know most of these people and they would pretty much laugh at my face if i started embracing the teacher role too much... Also, I can�t just sit them down and tell them to start taling in english... i need topics and some structure, so that they can take me for an authoriy figure because otherwise they will just speak in spanish

I decided to look for some maybe packaged courses I could adopt and then adapt, but didn�t find any, so I turned to textbooks.. but there are so many that I have no clue which one to buy (they too are expensive to buy a bunch at once!)

Soooo.... I thought I"d post here to see if you had any suggestions about what to do, or if you know any good book, textbook I could refer to.... I just need a platform, after that I don�t mind making changes etc

Thanks!

28 Dec 2008      

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hello Caritush:

There is a good book out called Keep Talking by F. Klippel.   This book has many different approaches to conversation such as discussion games, thinking strategies, and problem solving activities.  I think this book would appeal to your age group.  I have used this book many times and find it gets people talking as well as having fun at the same time. 

You might also try to have each student talk about something that they possess or do that has an interesting story behind it. 

You could also download some of the conversation and strategy games  that are on the site. Go on seach and search for survivor games.

Hope this helps.

28 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

why don�t you try this?

28 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Hello there, I recall many years ago that I had a similar group of individuals who were fairly proficient in the language and wanted to improve their �natural� abilities.  At that time, there was a spate of relatively new language teaching methods, such as suggestopedia and TPR was being launched in a big way.

But a method that really caught our attention was one known as Community Language Learning and if I remember it was basically about a group sharing problems and issues that concerned them personally.  I don�t remember the full details and rationale behind the methodology but I am sure you can search it on the internet and look at it for yourself.

I do recall that it was an extremely meaningful time for the participants, who shared real issues with real language practice.  They did not focus on language problems, but on other things and the language flowed naturally, fluently and relatively accurately as a result.

Just a suggestion. 

28 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Dear Caritush,

cheezels suggested a good site with conversational questions. Here you have the link to the discussion:

Then, I think that when you have defined the topic you would like to develop you can start looking for texts on the Internet or at any library. A good needs-analysis of the group may help you to select the topic. Why don�t you prepare a kind of form including different topics that they have choose?

28 Dec 2008     

xiles31
China

Hi

my name is Gilles, i�m French and i�ve been teaching English in China for over a year now. I work for a private school, with small groups from 2 to 5 students. Some levels are low, some are quite advanced. It seems, from the way you describe your situation, that it is quite similar to mine.

Basically, i don�t prepare too much stuff. I go with an open mind and senses, meaning that when students have a good level, conversation just �happens� and all i do is guide the debate, a little like a tv journalist would do: ask the right questions, make everyone participate (not always the same ones), change the topic if necessary in case of arguments rising, and as the talk goes, bring in appropriate expressions that native speakers would use (idioms) or some grammar if i notice a mistake repeating itself. I also emphasize on pronounciation, making them repeat the same word 20 times if necessary, and for that i do some loud reading on regular basis. I try to make them feel the language, the rhythm, the stresses, etc...

Now, i�m twice your age and have a longer experience with people and with knowing myself. Being an authoritative figure doesn�t mean "playing the boss"; this won�t work, especially with people your age. In China, students like to consider their teacher (especially foreign teacher) a friend, sharing phone numbers and msn contact sometimes on the first day. So you have to be very subtle in the way you bring "friends" to obey and work.... lol. You will learn a lot from this situation, and you will succeed if you constantly question yourself, observe yourself and adapt to the feedback you get or even anticipate situations.

I ask my students which topics they�d like to talk about; in the first 3 or 4 classes, people get to know eachother, and test you. It�s not hard to pass this period if you are friendly but steady as a rock. Let them build a half-circle. Find the right distance between you and them (where you can see everyone and feel comfortable). They shouldn�t be to far from eachother, it will help people who don�t know eachother socialize faster and create a friendly atmosphere in a shorter time. Bring in games where they have to interact; and occasionally, allow some Spanish to be spoken, if they need to explain one another some word or even crack a joke or two once in a while. But as the leader, gently bring back the English language.

For the topic part, you can find more than you need on ESL printables. You can try this one:

100+ questions for students (by shanlone)

or this gold mine: http://iteslj.org/questions/

i don�t use books, because you will only need 20% of them, so it�s a waste. Rather i follow both my intuition and the logic.

I didn�t mean to write so long, hope it�s not boring... good luck anyway! And may the Force be with you...

28 Dec 2008     

flaviatl
Argentina

Hi caritush!
First of all, I think you are right when you say that they need an authority figure. That�s essential. As they are adults, I�d make that clear from the start. And if they are friends of yours, you�ll need to make that absolutely clear. Talk to them, tell them that all of you are there to improve their conversational skills in English and that they are expected to engage in conversations in English of course! (even if the topic is not soooooo interesting for them) Remind them that the main reason why they are there is to practise, not to have super interesting conversations.

However, as you say, it always heps to try and make the lessons as interesting and attractive as possible.
There�s a book called "TABOOS AND ISSUES", it has photocopiable lessons on controversial topics, such as bribery and corruption, nudity, gays and jobs, prostitution, etc, etc. The lessons are very well organized and a debate is very likely to crop up!!

I wouldn�t do away with the idea of discussing the news. It might be boring to read the newspaper every single class, but every now and then you may come across an interesting piece of news worth discussing. I would avoid The Buenos Aires Herald since it is awfully boring. Check this link out (you can download news lessons from the Guardian Weekly)

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?sectionType=listsummary&catid=58223

Good luck with your course!

28 Dec 2008     

LaPahl
Germany

Hi Carolina,

I can recommend a book called "Touchy Situations" (Delta Publishing) which is designed for conversation classes. It consists of a variety of topics (20 chapters - e.g. getting to know the group; friendship and loyalty; financing the twins: family and gender roles; crime and punishment; just say no; parental punishment; leading a business; stranded in the jungle; battle of the sexes, your dream home....). Each unit starts with a "warm-up" (questions to help students focus on the topic of conversation and prepare them for the upcoming discussion) followed by "conversation strategies" (functional phrases that can be used in the context of the speaking exercise along with grammatical explanations) and "vocabulary" (words related to the lesson). Then a situation is being described, most often a dilemma or problem to be solved through discussion. Finally there is a "Follow up" with related questions for further discussion and review. I really appreciate the book and it is relatively cheap (2nd hand from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=1887744746 for 9$).

Good luck and all the best!

Sonja

28 Dec 2008     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi,
I teach adults and many times people have said to me that they want only conversation, they would like to talk and immidiately I tell them that this kind of class doesn�t exist. At the beginning they will talk, but then they will run out of subjects. So I believe that you have to guide your group and you have to organize  the lessons. Firstly I asked my students what they like doing ( travelling, cooking , cinema, art). Then I research the subjects. We always have a text. I read it with the students and then we discuss it. I prepare vocabulary exercises for the text and when possible a listening about something related. People don�t improve if it�s not organized. The will speak all the time about the same subjects and no new vocabulary will come up. On this site you have a lot of very interesting texts about all kinds of subjects, just check it out.
A big hug,
Silvia

28 Dec 2008     

caritush
Argentina

Wow!

I wasn�t expecting so many replies especially not this fast!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will surely look into them! My plan was to take advantage of the holidays (I�m on summer vacation right now) to really sit down and plan the course out , and then test it out!

Someone mentioned the community language learning, I�ve studied that technique, so yes, I keep it in mind, the only problem is that these people all know each other so on one hand, they already know much about each other, so the purpose of sharing gets lost. On the other hand because they know each other and they are in the same social circles, they might not open up like they would if they were surrounded by strangers. However, if i decide to expand and offer this course to other people, not aquaintances, then definitively, the CLL approach will come in handy

I did a sort of needs analysis, but like someone else said, they just want a course to talk, and are not very specific. However, through that needs analysis I found out they didn�t like the literature nor the news idea.. that�s why I discarded them.

The books on taboos and controversial topics is a great tip! I�ve been looking for something like that to spike conversation, but couldn�t find any

A great idea that will work with this group (friends etc) is the games! I haven�t thought of that!

I still have to check out the questions links, but I�m sure they will be useful in one way or another

Finally, thanks for the classroom management tips, and how to be an authority figure but not a boss, nor a friend. I think I have the knowledge but lack a lot of experience, and especially the age factor.. it�s a big issue for me, I�ve been turned down for jobs because I was too young and thus lacked this sense of authority when it comes to working with older students

Anyways, I will start working on this course and let you know how it goes!

28 Dec 2008