Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help    

Please help

vikral
India

Please help

Hi!

Are the following sentences correct?

I live in the hills.
I live on the hills.
I live on a hill.
I live in a hill.

Regards
Vikral

16 Nov 2011      

ozlemyagiz
Turkey

Hi Vikral! In my opinion, this sentence is correct: "I live in the hills" but you can also use "on the side of a hill".

16 Nov 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Vikral,

a) I live in the hills.
b) I live on the hills.
c) I live on a hill.
d) I live in a hill.

In British English, not all of these would be regarded as �correct �. 

a) "You live in the city. He lives in the country-side.  She lives at the sea-side.  I live in the hills".  The region where I live has several geographical features. There is an area of my region which is �hilly � and has many hills, (which are not as large as mountains).  My house, my home, is in that area, and that is where I live.

b) "I live on the hills".  This would not normally be used.  It implies that I  �exist �, �I survive �, �I live � by eating and using the produce which I find living or growing on the sides of the hills in the hilly district.  A soldier, a fugitive or a trapper who is �living rough � might use this phrase, but it is not usual.

c) "You live in a flat area.  She lives in a valley.  I live on a hill".  My house is possibly on the side of a hill; or my street is not level, but is at an angle of (say) 30 degrees.  When I go home, I must either walk �uphill � or walk �downhill � to reach my house.

d) "I live in a hill".  Unless I am a rabbit, or an ant, or a burrowing animal or insect which lives underground, I would not use this expression.  Except in very rare circumstances, human beings do not "live in a hill".   
I hope that this helps.

Les

16 Nov 2011     

vikral
India

Hi ozlemyagiz & ldthemagicman

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Vikral

16 Nov 2011     

ruisleipa
Finland

Les - I think you �ll find that all of the sentences are grammatically correct, aren �t they? The last one is very uncommon, since there aren �t many hobbits around these days, as is b) but otherwise all of them can be used and be correct. Not sure I agree with your implication regarding b) either. Furthermore I would say that a) and b) have almost synonymous meanings, don �t you think?

18 Nov 2011