Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > spelling mistakes    

spelling mistakes

wende
Spain

spelling mistakes

Hi! Can you think of strategies to help a 13 year old girl improve her spelling? short games or some techniques, she makes a lot of them when she writes. thank you

24 Nov 2011      

Gaby141
United Kingdom

Hello Wende

I often choose a theme and then play �writing scrabble �.  I write one long word relating to that theme on paper or the board. Then Ss must fit other words relating to that theme using the correct spelling. When they are trying to think of words to fit (or make them fit), and exposed to the words for so long it really helps. I also did this with a �one to one � who also had problems and she loved it. She would try to cheat and look in her books but this was fine because she also had to remember the word before writing it.   Hangman is also fun to practise any problem vocabulary.

Have a nice day!
Gaby

24 Nov 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �d recommend phonics. David Lisgo has lots of them.
Sophia

24 Nov 2011     

lyny
Mexico

I �d make her read a lot.
Audio books would be ideal. It think graded listening and reading at the same time could be  the best way.
Hug

24 Nov 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

Take a peek at http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/topic-group/spelling for some innovative ideas

25 Nov 2011     

lipofootoo
United States

Here �s a bunch of ESL activities for spelling that you can watch on video.

25 Nov 2011