Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Gotten    

Gotten

yetigumboots
Germany

Gotten

Hello everyone,

Silly question. It there such a word as �gotten �? Or is it just a slang thing?

� She used the informations she �d gotten from the internet. �  Can you say that???

Thanks Hugs Yeti x

29 Nov 2011      

yetigumboots
Germany

sorry information

29 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

The word "gotten" is the American past participle of the verb "to get", dear Yeti!

British people usually don �t say "gotten" - they�d say �She used the information she�d got from the Internet.� But in AE it�s not wrong and absolutely OK to use "gotten"...

- Silke

29 Nov 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

I once used the word "forgotten" in front of my mother who informed me that forgotten was not a word. She promptly got her dictionary out and found that indeed it is not a word but an Americanism.  Have I gotten my point across?

David

29 Nov 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Forgotten not a word? Like forget - forgot - forgotten? 

And americanisms are NOT WORDS?

So now we should ban any American expressions from our classrooms? Have you checked all the printables... Some of them might have found their way into them... Geeez!

Who am I to say which English is the right English? And Any other English is then wrong...

29 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Minka,

I think David was being a little ironic there and if I were you, I wouldn�t take it all too serious... Wink He has a very dry sense of humour - typical British - and I just love it, but sometimes people get him wrong - just like you did! ;-))

Have a  - Silke

29 Nov 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Thanks, Lina! I see that now...  stupid me! :)

Not my day, maybe...  

29 Nov 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I teach American English and the participle of the verb to get is "gotten", also all of its derivatives:

get, got, gotten
forget, forgot, forgotten

There are other differences between American and British English:

theatre (B) - theater (A)
colour (B) - color (A)

And words used differently:
fag (B) means cigarrette; (A) a derrogative word for gay
rubber (B) means "eraser"; (A) condom (a student of mine has gotten into trouble in the US because of the use of the word in class)

And things that have different names:
lorry (B) = truck (A)
flat (B) = apartment (A)
taxi (B) = cab (A)

The use of the words depends on the speakers � culture, and I find it very interesting to learn about those differences.

I learned British English and then enrolled in an American course. I got stuck the first time my teacher asked me "What time is it?" and when he explained I finally got it. "Ah, do you mean "have you got the time?""

Have a nice day!

29 Nov 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Quoting:

"The use of "gotten" as a past participle of "get" is an American retention of a form that British English has lost. However, British English has retained the related past participles of the verbs "forget" and "beget". Even in British English, the past participle of "forget" is "forgotten" (just as the past participle of "beget" is "begotten".) You should therefore say I have forgotten, and not I have forgot."

Source

29 Nov 2011     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we say both "taxi" and "cab".

Bruce

29 Nov 2011     

zailda
Brazil

I know, Bruce! But in England they don �t use the word "cab".

Have a nice evening!

29 Nov 2011     

1    2    Next >