Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Degrees / Levels of formality    

Degrees / Levels of formality

puddyd
Oman

Degrees / Levels of formality

Good evening all, 

I have to teach a lesson about how people speak to each other and what level of formality they use. Is the conversation  formal , informal or neutral.

So far I thought I �d discuss the different degrees of formality and use the text book �s listening ex.Then, I want to compile a list of synonyms for words used in different situations and create a board game using these words and make simple [ neutral] sentences and they have to pick a card from the pile and when they land on a sentence they have to read it pick a card and change it into a formal , very formal , informal or very informal sentence using their synonym list as a guide . 
E.g: "I �m sorry I haven �t called you back, but I �ve been so busy today." 
SS picks up FORMAL and needs to change it and make it formal: 
e.g: I am deeply apologetic for not returning your telephone call  earlier , but I have had an extremely demanding day today.

They are young adults and their level is pre intermediate, but am told are lower. I �m afraid it �s probably too drawn out  for them, I don �t really know the class well , because I �m helping out. Can someone please help me lift it off the page with something funnier or lighter or better still a different idea or lesson plan to teach this.
Maybe a funny or good video clip- I had Cathrine Tate �s Posh People in mind -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZp8x1_4aI

Please help , I �m at my wits end-It �s a speaking /listening class.
Thanks in advance
Big smile

29 Nov 2011      

Apodo
Australia

Can you have them do short dialogues/role plays for the people at different levels of formality?
Could they have some sort of prop such as a hat/scarf/bag/ important papers to represent the characters saying these words- that should get them laughing and if their level is low, some practise dialogues where they can read the words before having to think up their own with your cards might be quite useful.
Good Luck!

30 Nov 2011