Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Suuitable film for students    

Suuitable film for students

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Suuitable film for students

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a suitable film for my students about crime and punishment. My students suggested The Shanshawk Redemption but since I haven �t seen it I don �t know if it is suitable or maybe too violent. What do you think? Can you suggest a film?

Thank you so much and I wish you a nice day.

8 Dec 2011      

miss K.
Ukraine

It wil be helpful if you can specify students age. How about "Our lips are sealed" if they are young teenagers. Two girls witness a crime (gem stolen) which gets punished, witness�in the�court, and then take part in witness protection program and then there is a continutaion from the bad guys who finaly get arrested. The movie is a fiction but fun.

Another one is holidays in the sun but has lots ofboy/girl relationship, then one of the boys gets accused falsely and hiw new friends help him to get out of trouble by discovering the real criminal who gets to be taken.

Both of the movies are Olsen twin movies and you can watch them on youtube.

Oh, and two more from them which can relate to this topic: To The Grandmother �s House We Go (girls go to visit their grandmother and get caught by criminals but it has a nice end) and How the West Was Fun (a ranch of the girls � mother �s aunt has to be sold and girls find who �s behind selling the ranch and help out)/ The�second movie has a bit of native american beliefs and I�don �t�know if you�want introduce your students to that.

In the latter two movies the twins are really small.

You may want to consider Sydney White if you have older students. In this movie Univercity presidents loses due to dirty tricks she�plays�on�one of�the characters.

Then Who �se got the clur or something like that with Lindsaey Lohan�in it. A�teacher dissapears after her article and then she investigates and she and her friends help the�real criminal to get caught.

Mean Girls 1&2 not�related to�each other kind of involve bad deeds and�punishment.��You�can wathc them all�on youtube and see if all�scenes are appropriate for your students.�

8 Dec 2011     

stuartallen77
China

The Shawshank Redemption is a brilliant film, but only suitable for students aged 16 and up in my view, as it has some scenes of sexual nature and a suicide. This film actually came #1 in a recent poll for Best Film of All Time (and makes the Top 10 in most online lists).

Hope this helps,

Stuart

8 Dec 2011     

stuartallen77
China

The Score is also good with Edward Norton and Robert DeNiro. Here is a lesson plan I made on another website (its a large PDF, so I couldn �t put it on here unfortunately) which has the blueprints of customs house in the film and your students must invent a way to rob the bank and present it to the class!

Enjoy!!!

Stuart

8 Dec 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

How about finding the weak spots and try to protect bank from robbing. �Robbing a bank � will be exciting for students but it doesn �t teach good values.

8 Dec 2011     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Stuart and Miss K,

Thank you for your suggestions. I think we �ll watch The Shawshank Redemptionsince my students are 17 and I have seen good reviews on the net.

Have a nice evening.
Zvonka

8 Dec 2011