Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need a help with behaviour management problem plzzzzzzzzzzzz    

Need a help with behaviour management problem plzzzzzzzzzzzz

caren_630
Egypt

Need a help with behaviour management problem plzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dear Colleagues,

Today one of the girls in my class informed me that she is so upset and disappointed about the way her classroom mates talk about me. She told me that they called me names like Miss Chick and stuff like that. I informed her that I do not like tatlers; however, now that I am informed, what is the correct action I should take? My school policy is "Ignore such words"; however, I do not believe that it is the right thing to do. What if a student called me names right in my face? What is the right action I should take? Would u plz recommand some books about behavious management??!!

Ps: My students are 9 years old

Thx in advance

12 Dec 2011      

douglas
United States

I would ignore it--it is just hearsay.

12 Dec 2011     

rommaya
Egypt

I agree with douglas...

I would ignor it as well.......because it just hearsay ......and it might be done on purpose by the kids to see how you would react...and how much it will bother and annoy you....
I think ignoring is the best policy...

12 Dec 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Ignoring it is one way to go. 

I had a different problem some time ago: the students of a sixth grade (11-year-olds) were loud and disruptive and didn �t focus. It was so "general" that I couldn �t really name the individuals responsible, there were really few exceptions.

I prepared a lesson about it. I wrote quite a long text titled "Why can �t I sit still?".
We read it in class, did some comprehension exercises, some writing, some grammar and the vocabulary was included in oral examination.

If you decide to do something like that about name calling, you don �t really have to find out who said what. It is more difficult though, with nine-year-old students.

12 Dec 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Wow, I �ve seen the bad behaviour of the students ( as a rule, one of them, disrupting the whole classroom) but name calling is out of the question. If you speak with an accent they can correct you as well :) which is worse, I think, than name calling. And if I were called a" chick" by the students  I wouldn �t ignore it. I would say something, would figure out something at least. Imagine, if they would continue calling you that way in front of the other students, teachers and all that �school company" -- it would be even worse, kind of humiliation even if you kindly ignore it. Yes, they check your reaction and the reaction will be and not that one that would let them continue. Who is the boss here? :)

12 Dec 2011     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

I completely agree with MapleLeaf! But what is that "something"? That �s the question. I �ve started teaching this year and I am also faced with these problems i.e. disrupting and  tattling, so I join in Caren �s request. Experienced teachers, help!!)))

12 Dec 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

I would simply explain the whole classroom that is not appropriate to call someone names. I would ask how would they feel if someone called them the other names rather than theirs. Would it be fun for them to be called a "cow" or a "weasle". I think 9 year old student would understand. To ignore is also an option, but it �s when the situation is beyond control and no words of wisdom can reach the students and the whole classroom is wound up. Oh, my that would be a disaster...

12 Dec 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

Ignore it. To make something out of it would make it worse.
Most kids at some point I would imagine have called their teacher names behind their back. It �s what kids do.
You are not their best buddy, you are their teacher.

Unless it actually stirs up trouble within the class in your face or you hear something from the horses mouth, then why stir the pot further. Young students do not have the maturity sometimes to think about how their actions affect others.

You are an old fogey to them. Kids have been moaning and calling teachers names since the beginning of school.
The best you can do is not to let it get to you, because being called Miss Chick or whatever is a lot better than some of the names I am sure I have been called in private.

You are not there to make them like you, you are there to teach and help them learn.
Take your schools advice and follow the policy. Ignore it. Why should there be one rule for students and have it not applicable to the adults as well?

12 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Have you ever had a feeling you were a bad teacher when your students actually said they loved you and that you were the best? I sometimes feel that way, somehow I feel I am doing something wrong, because of that... on the other hand the teachers, whom students don �t like, are actually good teachers.
I think you can �t react to the "calling names" issue as long as it �s behind your back, but you will have to address it if it �s done to your face. The good thing is if they call you names behind your back they actually have some boundaries and they consider inappropriate to do it to your face:)
Sophia

12 Dec 2011     

Erna
Russian Federation

You know there are really 2 ways of reacting - ignoring it (which surely doesn �t show your weakness in any way), I agree with cheezels: you are there to teach them and here comes the other way - teach them a lesson. Don �t tell them you heard smth or you know for sure who said what, but teach them a lesson on that in an extraordinary way. once I did merely the same what Minka did - I prepared a lesson touching the problem we were facing at the moment. Thank God it wasn �t about me, there was namecalling, gossiping, nicknaming among the students themselves and I prepared a lesson on that including some theories why kids usually do it, how does it describes them and so on. unfortunately, due to my computer crash a few years ago I don �t have that lesson left. just can give you an idea for inspiration - take the movie "Clique" or the book, or some parts of it concerning your problem and discuss it with kids (only I �m not sure if 9-year olds will get it right, the movie, watch it first yourself, see if it will go with them). 
Anyway, don �t give up or think you �re bad or smth, they say it �s good to be spoken about even if it �s just gossiping :) and kids always talk about us, we can �t escape it.
Cheer up!
Erna

12 Dec 2011     

mariec
Spain

After many years of experience, I would ignore it, pupils always have names for their teachers, so don�t make a big thing out of it.

13 Dec 2011