Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > have been - have gone    

have been - have gone

perma
Greece

have been - have gone

Hello everyone!
Got a question:
In a transformation exercise we �ve got as first sentence "He flew to London on Friday and he �s still there."
The second sentence (the answer) must be like "He has ......... since Friday"
Which one is correct:
1) He has been in London since Friday
2) He has gone to London since Friday

Or are they both possible?

I think 1 is correct and 2 doesn �t sound right to me, but one of my best students insists that 2 is correct, based on the difference between has gone and has been, as commonly taught in esl classes. (has been = he went there sometime in the past & has gone = he �s still there)

What do you think?

12 Dec 2011      

zailda
Brazil

He has been to London

He has gone to London

12 Dec 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

you are correct and your student is wrong in American English.

12 Dec 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

He went to London and he �s back - He �s been to London. (EXPERIENCE)
He went to London and he �s still there - (RESULT: You can �t talk to him, he isn �t here right now,...) he �s gone to London.

As soon as you add "since" the second one becomes impossible.

He �s been IN London since Friday. (DURATION: HOW LONG?)

12 Dec 2011     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Katerina, you �re right, the first sentence is correct. I know the feeling - sometimes when a student (the good one) insists on something you know is wrong, you start doubtingSmile

As Minka put it,   "As soon as you add "since" the second one becomes impossible"

12 Dec 2011     

perma
Greece

thank you Hug

13 Dec 2011     

ramel1
Czech Republic

My idea: I think your student means been vs. gone as a past participle of �to go�.

But there is �in London� not �to London�, so the werb is �to be�, then "been" is right.

13 Dec 2011     

Elenie
Greece

You �re right! You need to use "has been" in its original meaning to say he IS IN London and he got there on  Friday and not to say" he went  to London and came back". It �s like saying "I have been sad lately". 

In this case "has been" could also mean "is located" if I could say that, if you get the translation I mean in Greek.
Besides Minka is right! As soon as you put since you can �t refer to someting that is finished (went to London and came back).

13 Dec 2011