Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > There is a love.     

There is a love.

blunderbuster
Germany

There is a love.

Dear members,

can anyone tell me if there is some kind of ambiguity to it when someone says "There is a love."

Thank you.

9 Jan 2012      

ironik
Australia

There is no ambiguity, if there is ambiguity, it is possible to understand it with more than one meaning. Actually I couldn �t understand the sentence at all. Is love countable, and what do you mean by "there is a love"? Do you mean "someone loves a person?" I haven �t heard such a sentence before.

9 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi BB:)
Here �s what I found in an online grammar reference:

The article a/an to show temporary or unusual aspect

In formal writing and literary works, the indefinite article a/an may be used with some uncountable abstract nouns to show an unusual or temporary aspect of something. The article a/an in such cases has the following meanings: such, certain, special, peculiar.

But I don �t think it �s the case of formal use here:) It sounds like "there is a hope", "there is a way", "get a life" to me.
Let �s see what the natives think.
Sophia

9 Jan 2012     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you, Sophia.

Your answer makes me perfectly happy ;o) It seems the meaning is "timeless, never-ending love" in my context then, which was hard to guess because there was subtle irony in the statement.

9 Jan 2012     

douglas
United States

"Among teens, there is a love for Ipods."

My feelings say you have to use "for" (there is a love for...) and then ehte only ambiguity is what the love is for (no real ambiguity, you would hav eto state it for the sentence to make sense).

--just my thoughts, without any heavy thinking skills applied.

9 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Douglas, sometimes our instincts work better than thnking. I agree with you, but I would add that "a love of..." is also possible, followed by a present participle.

Bruce

9 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Douglas, sometimes our instincts work better than thnking. I agree with you, but I would add that "a love of..." is also possible, followed by a present participle.

Bruce

9 Jan 2012     

blunderbuster
Germany

Actually, it refers to a relationship between two people. But thanks guys ;o)

9 Jan 2012