Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > articles and channels    

articles and channels

*Maria*
Russian Federation

articles and channels

Dear friends!

In textbooks I �ve come across the names of TV and radio channels both with and without "the". What �s the correct variant? Do we actually have to use "the"?

26 Jan 2012      

paddyofarrell
Ireland

Hmmm. I �m not sure. I think �BBC � could be an exception. It is �BBC � when you are talking about the channel: �I watched a good show on BBC last night. � But it is �the BBC � when you are talking about the business: �The BBC have released a statement about the documentary they aired last night �.

As for the other channels that I can think of (Sky Sports, HBO, NBC etc.) the name of the channel and the business is expressed the same, with no article.

I think.

26 Jan 2012     

douglas
United States

In most of my experience we don �t use "the".

We watched the news on NBC.

NBC has hired a new talk show host. 

However, it is an argued subject:

This answer is actually not bad:

Douglas

26 Jan 2012     

Jayho
Australia

This is a good question Maria and I have not come across fixed rules.

Here are my thoughts

When you are chatting socially if the station name is an acronym or abbreviation then with and without the article are both acceptable: ABC/the ABC e.g. I�m watching "....." on the ABC/ABC tonight. 

However, as Paddy has written, an article is often used in the business sense e.g. The political debate will be aired on the ABC.

However, if the station name starts with �channel� then no article is required: Channel 10 (not the channel 10) e.g. I�m watching "....." on channel 10 tonight. The political debate will be aired on channel 10. (n.b. some will reduce this to just the number e.g.  I�m watching "....." on 10 tonight. The political debate will be aired on 10.)

My favourite TV stations are ABC and channel 10
My favourite TV stations are the ABC and channel 10

If the name is a proper noun then just apply the general rules for articles (no article)  e.g.  I�m watching "....." on Prime tonight. The political debate will be aired on Prime.

The same applies for radio stations.

This is my understanding and I hope my thoughts are of assistance.

Thanks for the interesting links Douglas.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Jan 2012