Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Polite English_Help needed!    

Polite English_Help needed!

phillipsfou
Greece

Almaz, I just believe that they are both correct but there is a difference between them. I also believe that students should be taught this difference since thay might come across it. It �s usage depends on the person and the situation (formal/informal).That �s it. Izula, I just wanted to give you my opinion, not turn this into an argument. I �m sorry.

28 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

No, Filia, it �s not an argument. It �s a healthy debate. Just be careful when you start throwing words like �correct � around.

28 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Filia, Alex is very sensitive about the use (and especially the overuse and misuse) of the word "correct". Grammar is always changing, and some people (and I �m working my way out of that group) get stuck in the past.

The original question, though, was about what is more polite.

Bruce

28 Jan 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

This is what I tell my pupils
with "go to the bathroom" for example:
May I ... ? = more polite but it also suggests that the answer is quite uncertain (it �s not likely the pupil will be allowed to go to the bathroom because we �re in the middle of a test for example)
Could I ... ? = polite
Can I ... ? = informal BUT correct : I do not correct my pupils if they use "can" but I tell them that to talk to a teacher they should rather use could

this is what I found in a grammar book we study to become teachers - obviously I do not explain all the details to my pupils but just the basic notions!

28 Jan 2012     

Jayho
Australia

My trusty Collins Cobuild Intermediate English Grammar thankfully states using �can � as permission in preference to �may � and gives the examples of "Can I ask a question"and "Can we have something to wipe our hands on please".  It clearly states "May is also used to ask permission, but this is more formal".

May is just so old fashioned and using it will often result in a quizzical look.

29 Jan 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Jayho, you �ve nailed it. �May I...? is old fashioned and would have English kids rolling in the aisles laughing. Also, yes, �can � is for ability, but when would you use �Can I..? � in such a situation? �Can I swim? � �Can I knit? � �Can I walk? � What - don �t you know?! �
Love your kitties pic!
Lynne B xxx 

29 Jan 2012     

< Previous   1    2