Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need answers    

I need answers

nermien rabie
Egypt

I need answers

Good afternoon dear teachers
I just have a question , what is the difference between "Me and my friends"and My friends and I "and when do we start a paragraph with any of them?
Another question
Why do we say looking forward to seeing you not to see you?
Thanks for help

31 Jan 2012      

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, how are you?

As far as I am concerned..."My friends and I" is the correct grammatical form. Since "my friends and I" is the subject of the sentence, we need "I", a personal pronoun, not "me", an objective pronoun. However, I have read that "me and my friends" is often used by English native speakers in different parts. To be on the safe side, I would teach "my friends and I" as the correct form, without banning the other option.

As a rule of thumb "to" is usually followed by an infitinite verb but there are exceptions to this rule."Look forward to" is one exception, it is a fixed expression, a collocation.  

Other example of "to" + ing  is "be used to" I am used to getting early on week days, meaning you are accustomed to getting up early. "Be accustomed to" is another exception to the rule!

I hope you find this clear and useful!

Have a nice day!

Jorgelina

31 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

To add to Jorgelina �s excellent answer, in her three examples the "to" is a preposition, and not part of an infinitive, so it needs a noun, pronoun or gerund as its object.

I look forward to that.
I look forward to his return.
I look forward to seeing you.

Bruce

31 Jan 2012     

nermien rabie
Egypt

thanks a million

31 Jan 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

You would use "my friends and me" if you use the phrase as an object. For example: Our teacher gave my friends and me an A on our project. It �s very common for native English speakers to mistakenly use "my friends and I" in that context. My husband (a native English speaker) drives me nuts sometimes when he says "between you and I." Since he isn �t my student, I keep my mouth shut, but it isn �t easy!

31 Jan 2012     

nermien rabie
Egypt

thanks Moody, patience is the only key to survive and live happily

31 Jan 2012     

nutro
United Arab Emirates

How do I collect pictures and objects in the working papers

1 Feb 2012