Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!!!!!    

Help!!!!!

poli222001
Argentina

Help!!!!!

Hello everyone!! I have a question. How do you say when you lose a game and because of that you have a kind of punishment like running around the table three times or that kind of silliy things. I �d appreciate your help. Cheers!!!

1 Feb 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

forfeit?

1 Feb 2012     

Stellam
Argentina

I think the word is "forfeit"
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forfeit

1 Feb 2012     

libertybelle
United States

I think when you forfeit a game - you give up.
This question was about losing a game.

My gym teacher made us take laps around the track field.
(I hated that teacher and anyone who makes a losing team "a shame of honor".)
That �s a terrible thing to do.

1 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Forfeit.

1 Feb 2012     

poli222001
Argentina

Thank you so much!!! that was the word!!!!!!!!!

1 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

Libertybelle, this is something smaller than the "punishment" you are talking about. "A forfeit" (and it is definitely a noun and always with the article) is a pre-arranged/agreed thing that is given or done by the person who loses. It is an old-fashioned term that was common 100 years ago, but not so much today

Bruce

1 Feb 2012     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Can the word penalty be used?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/penalty

Pinky

1 Feb 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Bruce -I beg to differ.  I hear people use forfeit all the time  - also in the UK.
You can forfeit your right to something - which means give it up.

It �s also often used in legal terms. Just because teachers don �t use it that often, doesn �t mean that it �s not often used in other professions.

It �s really not that old a word at all, and is also used in Real Estate.
There is also a great difference in what words are still in use in the US and the UK.

I was surprised to hear Brits use the word reckon!  To me that was a "country/cowboy" word, but they use it all the time.

Here is an interesting site using that word:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6618536_forfeit-u_s_-citizenship.html

1 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi LB

We use reckon all the time - it �s extremely common.  Even one of the country �s best known TV hosts of a financial advice and investment program, Paul Clitheroe,  uses it all the time.

I am afraid I can �t shed any light on the forum question.  We don �t use forfeit (too formal) or punishment (too harsh) . We just say you lost - now you have to run around the table three times.

Cheers

Jayho

2 Feb 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

In USA, forfeit can be used as either a noun or a verb. I agree that "a forfeit" is the correct term for what the OP asked about. Whether or not a forfeit is a desirable consequence of losing a game is debatable.

If you forfeit a game, however, it means that agree that you lose/lost the game due to outside circumstances. For example, several years ago, the Little League World Series (in baseball) was forfeited because the winning team unknowingly used a pitcher who was 15 when Little League rules state that players may be no older than 13.

A penalty, in a game, usually means that a player is punished for breaking the rules of the game. That �s where the term penalty box in hockey comes from.

We tend to use reckon as a verb in the Southern US; I reckon I can come up with an example if I think hard enough (tongue firmly in cheek). At least in the South, it is very much considered a word that is associated with country folk, low education, or "rednecks." I �ve never heard reckon used as a noun, although I have heard reckoning, which doesn �t have the stigma of reckon. Reckoning is a summing up, accounting, or logical consequence of an action. (World of Warcraft loves the saying, "The reckoning is at hand." Yes, I �m a WoW geek!)

2 Feb 2012     

1    2    Next >