Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me please!    

Help me please!

sophia0806
France

Help me please!

Hi everybody,
could you help me please with those sentences? I wonder if simple past and present perfect could be used (both of them) in such sentences :

1. Where did/have you put my pen?  I can � find it.
2. Have/did you read all the books?
3.If everybody has read/read this new article, let �s discuss it!
4. Did /have you make/made any grammar mistakes in your test?

Thanks a bunch for answeringBig smile
Take care,
Sophia

5 Feb 2012      

yanogator
United States

I agree with Alicia except on #4. "Did you make any grammar mistakes" sounds much more natural. Although it is a past action with consequences in the present (which is what the present perfect is for), the emphasis is on the past action, not the present result, so Simple Past is a more realistic choice.

Bruce

5 Feb 2012     

sophia0806
France

thanks a lot for answering Yanogator but what were Alicia �s answers? It didn �t appear!
Embarrassed

5 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

They were there when I posted mine. I guess she deleted them for some reason. Her answers were:
1.  did
2.  have
3.  has read
4.  She gave "has made" as the first choice and said that "did make" is also correct.

Now that I �m re-looking at them, I want to say that both answers are correct for #2, with different emphases.

"Have you read all the books?" is more common, because it is showing an interest in what the person has read over the years.
"Did you read all the books?" would be a question the teacher asks a student about a particular assignment. The interest here is whether the student did the assignment or not. The teacher definitely could use the present perfect, too, emphasizing the completion of the assignment, rather than the action of doing the assignment (I hope that makes some sense).

Bruce

5 Feb 2012     

sophia0806
France

Thank you so much,
have a nice week
take care
Sophia

5 Feb 2012