Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > DO YOU GUYS DO ANY ´´LUCKY RITUAL´´ ON NEW YEARS EVE??    

DO YOU GUYS DO ANY ´´LUCKY RITUAL´´ ON NEW YEARS EVE??

MissMelissa12
Peru

DO YOU GUYS DO ANY ´´LUCKY RITUAL´´ ON NEW YEARS EVE??

* In Peru, we eat the 12 grapes mandatorily : one wish after every grape.

* 90% of people -It�s my guessing- wear yellow underwear.

* It�s not surprising to see people with their baggage runing around the neighborhood ( that is if you want to travel).

* At home , people spread weath,rice and brown lentil in the corners of the house. Also we fill our wallets and pockets with those. (this is to have money all the year)

* We burn ��MU�ECOS�� (people dolls made of old cloth)... It is said we are burning the bad things happened in the last year. Sometimes we put the name of a person on it if we want him/her to change something.

* There are many others, but this is what almost everybody does.

I�d like also to know the name for ��C�bala�� in English. Does anyone know?

��GLOD BLESS YOUR HOMES AND HEARTS IN 2009 ��

31 Dec 2008      

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi!

In Portugal people also have many rituals like those you mentioned.
Here are some I remember:

- People eat 12 grapes and ask for wishes.

- People wear blue underpants.

- People jump from a chair with a note (money) on their pocket.

- The first step in the new year must be with your right foot.

I think the word "C�bala" is "Kabala" in English...

Happy New Year!!!

1 Jan 2009     

crisholm
Spain

Oh, I�d written a whole nice reply to all this when it suddenly vanished from my computer. I hope it is not an ill omen for 2009.
What I meant to say is that I thought Spain was the only country to have the dreadful custom of the 12 grapes at the 12 strokes. Being from another country, I do not like the custom very much - in fact this year I cheated and had as many sips of CAVA (the Catalan equivalent to champagne), which worked far better than choking while trying to swallow the grapes.
As for underwear, I�m too old to carry out an extensive field study. From ads and shop windows, I�m sure the fetiche colour is red. I do not know what happens beyound this point, I�m afraid. I�m pretty sure it�s much the same everywhere, whatever the colours are, anyway!
I do not know the other customs you have mentioned, but I�ll try them out, just in case!
I wish you all a very happy new year!

1 Jan 2009