Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > threaten or loom over?    

threaten or loom over?

aldonza
Spain

threaten or loom over?

Hi there!

I�ve got a question about these two words.
In the following context which one is the right one?

"It is not so much the scandals and disputes of recent years that have ______________the Olympic Games"  threatened/ loomed over

Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance

12 Feb 2012      

dennismychina
China

Loomed over is the better because the Olympics, I�d say, wouldn�t be threatened by mere scandals and disputes, unless of cause the sentence continues with something more profound.

13 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

As a native speaker "threatened" seems more natural to me.

It could depend on what follows your statement though.

We say things are threatened by lack of funds.

The newspaper scandal threatened his standing in the community.(not loomed over)
His dread of public speaking has loomed over him for many years. (not threatened)

13 Feb 2012     

mmbjs
Australia

"Loomed over" is like having big black rain clouds overhead. It causes you to be worried, but there is a chance it will clear up and become fine (ok).
"Threatened" is more serious and direct in causing a problem. The "threat" needs to be fixed (attened to) or is will cause greater problems.

13 Feb 2012     

douglas
United States

I think I agree with Dennnis on this one. "loomed over"--the games haven �t really been threatened so to say.

13 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

I guess it depends on your point of view.... and what the rest of the statement says. eg:

2 Jan 2012 � �Fixing poses threat to 2012 Olympic Games �. LONDON: The integrity of the London 2012 Olympics could be shattered by the �enormous� threat ...

1 Jan 2012 � Britain �s Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson says games fixing has now overtaken doping as the biggest threat to the reputation of the London ...

Potential IRA �threat � looms large over London Olympics - The Irish Republican Army (IRA) is reportedly planning to carry out major terror ...
Row looms over pub opening hours. British pubs are facing a bureaucratic hurdle to extend opening hours for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic ...

13 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree that "loomed over" is a slightly better choice, only because there doesn �t seem to be any danger of the Olympics being terminated, so they are not threatened. In general, both are good choices because, as Apodo said, it depends on whether these things are only causing concern (loomnig over) or actually posing a threat.

Bruce

13 Feb 2012     

aldonza
Spain

Thank you all.
According to the key "threatened" is the correct option. I just wanted to know your opinion and your explanation  because I�m sure that my students are going to ask me why one option is better than the other one. Now I can explain it.
Thanks again.

13 Feb 2012