Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Using Videos to Enhance Writing (How Effective?)    

Using Videos to Enhance Writing (How Effective?)

Nebal
Lebanon

Using Videos to Enhance Writing (How Effective?)

Hiya dear teachers,

I �m considering using videos(films, documentaries, trailers, ....) to enhance writing productivity and interest.
Do you agree on this approach? If yes, why? Did you try it before and how were the results?
If no, why not?
Of course, the writing type(narrative, argumentative,etc) should be taught and modeled in class beforehand.

Another request, if you have an access to references(documents, books, pdfs) that might help me with this issue, I would be greatly thankful.

Waitin for your reply.
Nebal

19 Feb 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear Nebal, definitely tried it and it works. I �ve tried showing inspirational videos for creative writing workshops (with music) and it really helps get the students in the mood, watching brief National Geographic or BBC documentaries for discussion and writing pro-con essays afterwards and it really helps (introduces the vocabulary more naturally, provides new ideas, gets people involved with real life situations), movie clips are always useful as well, and it also helps to show some clip without the ending and have them write the endings themselves (regardless of the topic). Of course, it all takes some preparation, but when using videos, I find students only need guidelines afterwards and perhaps the target vocabulary you want them to start using. depending on the group and their knowledge level, sometimes the topics can be so inspiring or provocative that I deny them the option of discussing afterwards and get them writing their opinions at once, without voicing them, and then (when things cool down) we also have a debate.
It is also useful to prepare an activity in which students have a worksheet or a wordlist which they have to complete while watching the video (e.g. find the meanings of some phrases in the video situation, fill in some phrases, catch the expressions used in the videos for synonyms phrases from the ws), and then have them write a report about it using the listed vocabulary (you actually focus their attention to target info or vocabulary). The simplest, but sometimes most efficient, way of using videos is also having your students retell what they saw in a limited word number. Something I also find useful, although it �s more grammar usage than creativity, is making them write questions about the video afterwards - having students make the wh-questions themselves always shows their knowledge, comprehension and skill. Writing interview questions for the person in the video is also fun and interesting.
I hope you can put some of this to good use, although I �m sure you already do.
Nice to see you around...
Anita

19 Feb 2012     

Nebal
Lebanon

Wowwwwwwwwwwww, Anita!!! Great ideas!!Yes, I already use some of them. Most of the time I expose films, where sts can apply different tasks afterwards: comment on your best scenes, restructure the scenes you didn �t like, summarize the plot, rephrase a character �s dialogue from formal to informal Eng(in case the film reflect Old British stories), write a characterization a description of your favorite character, and argue whether for or against a character �s attitude or behaviour or even the author �s morale. See!!! I also use voiceless clips where sts watch and try to guess the dialogue included by writing it down. Thanks for ur great ideas!! You �re always cooperative, inspiring, and supportive. Happy to chat together again.

19 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe you �ll find this useful http://www.heinemann.com/shared/onlineresources/0573/chapter9.pdf
Sophia

19 Feb 2012