Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Manhole covers    

Manhole covers

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

British Standard 497 still refers to them as "Manhole Covers"

They were given that name because a man went down into the "Manhole", or "Inspection Chamber", or "intercepting Chamber", or "Silt Pit", to perform any necessary procedure.

A "Lamphole Cover" was a cover for a much smaller chamber, big enough to allow an oil-lamp to be lowered on a rope into the sewer, to confirm visually, (from upsteam and downstream), that the sewer was not blocked.

Or you could perform a smoke test with a smoke bomb; or use drain rods with a badger, and ... ...

A-a-a-h!  Happy, happy days.

No, I was not an Engineer --- I was a Quantity Surveyor, but I was a bit of an expert on Drainage --- a sort of "Connais-Sewer", (as the French say).

Les

22 Feb 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Connais sewer! Groan!

Les, as always the workings of your brain have me in awe. A beautiful mind indeed.

The answer to the teaser is very simple in fact. Turn a square manhole (or personhole!) round and diagonally it could fall in the hole. This can �t happen if it �s round.

If anyone is remotely curious as how on earth i got onto the subject of manhole covers it all started with a piece I was looking at yesterday on the absurdest interview questions of 2011. Things like:
How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator? orHow many people are using Facebook in San Francisco at 2:30pm on a Friday?
http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/top-25-oddball-interview-questions-2011/

Enjoy!

22 Feb 2012     

< Previous   1    2