Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > In Class Reading    

In Class Reading

IamCamila
Brazil

In Class Reading

Hello there! 
I teach a large groups of teenagers from middle to high school and the text book adopted by the school has a large amount of texts. What is the best way of working them? How is the best way/routine for the classroom? There are about 30/40 students in each classroom. 

What I �ve been doing:

1- Ask first about what they know about the subject
2- Listen to the text from a CD, books closed
3- Listen again books open
4- I read, they repeat after me
5- I read lines and they tell me what the text is saying.
6- They study the text at home with the audio as homework
7- They read a paragraph one at a time, out loud and I right down who participates. 
8- We answer the exercises together about the text.

I would like to learn other ways, please share!

Thank you!

25 Feb 2012      

AAA-2011
Oman

hi dearSmile

First , you can lets them set  in six group ok after that lets them to imagne thay are in train . the frist group lets them to find the meaning of diffcult word .second group, let them to skim and speak about what they will read. third group let them to scan the text and answer the question . fouth group , let them to make question . group five , lets them to do games
.the last group let the to give a summery
i hope like this way good luck

26 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1) A Hot seat activity. Students prepare questions about the text - put the �wh... � words on the board. Model a few questions, with �did � or whatever is appropriate. After a set time, choose a person to come out into the hot seat. He/she must answer the questions correctly/in full sentences, or just �yes, it is � etc - depending on ability of the hotseater. It has to be quick and snappy, so make sure all students have written at least 3 questions before you start the hotseating. Peer assess - make it into a competition.
2)Provide a grid if appropriate, or a timeline. Students fill in the info.
3) In groups, ask them to decide on 5 or 6 key sentences that sum up the passage. Swap ideas with other groups. Who has chosen the best sentences to summarise? Put them on the board and discuss. If it�s a long passage, give different groups different sections to summarise.
Just a few ideas!

26 Feb 2012     

elisestaves
United Kingdom

Hiya, I �ve found this article useful for reading ideas:

Hope it helps.

Elise

26 Feb 2012     

starrr
Brazil

Very good tips, thanks guys! I will apply them this new week..Hugs and have a nice weekend.. ;-)

26 Feb 2012