Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi everybody! It is correct?     

Hi everybody! It is correct?

sijorumo
Colombia

Hi everybody! It is correct?

Hi!

I�d like to know if someone can help with the following paragraph. It is correct?  

Thanks in advanced

I�m doing this Master because I want to improve my teaching strategies, acquire new pedagogical knowledge that contribute to the development of my professional growth providing me with the adequate tools to keep pace with today �s world.

29 Feb 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d change the first part to "I am pursuing my Master �s degree..." or "I am taking this Master-level class..." in order to maintain the formal tone of the rest of the sentence. I would also replace the comma with "and" because you have a list of only two items. Change "contribute" to "contributes" because the subject of the verb is "knowledge" which is an uncountable noun and therefore takes the singular. Add a comma after "growth" and delete "adequate."

So the finished sentence would be

"I am pursuing my Master �s degree because I want to improve my teaching strategies and acquire new pedagogical knowledge that contributes to the development of my professional growth, providing me with the tools to keep pace with today �s world."

That sounds like good academic jargon to me.

29 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

I think Moody �s version sounds great.

Bruce

29 Feb 2012     

sijorumo
Colombia

Thanks a ton :)

29 Feb 2012     

ikerzak
El Salvador

Only one thing... I �d say, "I want to improve my teaching strategies and to acquire..." Just to keep parallelism...

29 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

It works with or without the "to".

Bruce

29 Feb 2012     

sijorumo
Colombia

Thank you for all your help.

And thanks Bruce for the clarification. 

29 Feb 2012