Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Adult Students..    

Adult Students..

yetigumboots
Germany

Adult Students..

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if you could give me a few tips on teaching adults (again) Smile I have recently been given two courses with adults. One is a beginners class which went - ok but the other is a conversation course using �The Spotlight � Magazine.
Easy enough you would think! Read an article and then disscuss it. But the first one last week was a bit of a disaster.  They all just sat there and looked at me. I could not get them to say much at all. Does anyone have any funny quick adult games I could use as ice breakers. I am really new at teaching adults. So any tips would be very welcome. Thanks for your help x

Hugs Yeti x

4 Mar 2012      

cindyfreksen
Denmark

You could try posing a moral question. or example what would you do if you won a million?

Let the students think about it for a few minutes, then discuss in pairs or groups, then share with the class.

Allowing them to think about what they want to say then �practice/get help from a smaller group should give them the required vocabulary and the confidence to share.

Questions should be thought out so that there isn �t one correct answer, and broad so that everyone has something to say.

You could also set them a task in groups where they are given opposing opinions that they have to argue from - I have used the death penalty where 4 groups were given 4 articles which had opposing views. The pupils had to find the arguments in their text and use them in a debate.

Good luck
Cindy

4 Mar 2012     

IbuLulu
Australia

I often find that with a new group (or when new members join a group), it �s important to do icebreakers and warmers that help people to get to know each other and work together.

For example, when I started this term I put people in small groups, pulled out some things from my handbag and gave something to each group and they had to figure out what they thought they could guess about me from that.  Then they had to do the same. 

Another way is to have a competitive game where teams work against other teams - this is both fun, and usually the team members bond together against the opposition! I like Categories but there are lots of team games out there.

Once people feel comfortable with each other (and with you) they are more likely to be comfortable to speak, especially in smaller groups where they are not so �exposed �.

Hope you find something that works with your group!
Ibu Lulu

4 Mar 2012     

blunderbuster
Germany

Write a topic on the board and give five pieces of paper to each student.
Ask them to write one word that they associate with the topic on each paper .
Collect the cards.
Let them draw from all cards, one card per student. Have them make a sentence.
In each round each student picks an additional card and uses all of the words on their cards to make a sentence. You might pretend to be nice and give them the chance to return one card they don �t like - only to give them to another student ;o)

Once they are done with that, they should have their pipes all warmed up to sing, no matter what tune ;o) I came up with this idea one evening preparing for a 90-minute conversation class in business English. The topic was "innovation" It worked like a charm.

Good luck!

4 Mar 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Last week I downloaded a worksheet from this site which consisted on cards with phrasal verbs. It really worked very well because all of them had something to say about the questions I asked them. We got to know the whole group much better and had a good time.
Hope it helps
Yolanda

4 Mar 2012     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If you are looking for games as suggested in your post why not try playing a speed dating game or a murder mystery game.   There are several worksheets available on the site.   I find that these games are lots of fun with the students and they seem to enjoy playing the games.

4 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You mean these ones http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=32575Wink Have you tried the swappy role-plays yet?
Have a look at these icebrakers/warmers http://eslinsider.com/how-to-teach-english-videos/warm-up-icebreakers I particularly loved the line-up.
Here �s a whole section with warmers/fillers and you don �t need to be registered to browse through them and get ideas http://busyteacher.org/teaching_ideas_and_techniques/warmers/
Sophia

P. S. @BB: What a fabulously new approach to brainstorming! I�m definitely going to try it!

4 Mar 2012