Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a letter of information    

a letter of information

jarek2011
Poland

a letter of information

what do you call in English a letter that is sent home with a child. The letter contains info on what �s going on in school so that the child �s parents are updated with ongoing/ upcoming events.

my guess is a letter of information/ information letter

8 Mar 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

school report? (just a guess)
Sophia

Edit: it checked out: 
School report (British English) (North American English report card) a written statement about a student�s work at school, college, etc
a school reportto get a good/bad report

8 Mar 2012     

Apodo
Australia

A school newsletter.

8 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sorry, didn �t read the post to the end, thought you meant a report on a student �s academic achievement.
Sophia

8 Mar 2012     

zoemorosini
United States

I think what you mean is a kind of school or district newsletter.  Some schools and even individual teachers make their own to hand out to anyone interested, including families.  They may be short or multiple pages.  Students may or may not contribute to the newsletter.  There may or may not be photos.  

Other school systems may produce them as a kind of community service.  In that case, usually the superintendent�s office will compose them and distribute them.  The superintendent is the director of the whole urban school district.  In my situation, so we�re sort of small, having only 10 schools.  The superintendent makes and distributes a semesterly newsletter.  It�s an opportunity for the community to celebrate the schools� successes and perhaps to influence the press/newspapers.

If academic in nature, such a document could also be called a progress report. In the USA, teachers give these out half way through each academic quarter as a warning or status update, and they include grade averages for all classes in which students are enrolled, as well as tardies and absences.   At the end of the quarter students/families receive report cards; these are permanent marks for classes that make it onto the students � transcripts.

I hope this helps!

8 Mar 2012