Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reduce size of pictures    

reduce size of pictures

crissorrir
Brazil

reduce size of pictures

Hi dear teachers!
I have prepared some worksheets and would like to send them, but I can�t because of the size of the pictures. (it�s too heavy). Do you know any program to reduce pictures size?
Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

8 Mar 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello Christina,
Check the free tutorials section http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/tutorials.asp I �m sure you �ll find some useful tips there.
Sophia

8 Mar 2012     

Dietze
Austria

there �s a free programme called "Fotosizer"

8 Mar 2012     

monicablt
Romania

Hello, Cris!
You can easily resize and compress pictures with Microsoft Office Picture Manager which comes with the Office Pack for your computer.

9 Mar 2012     

foose1
United States

You can use Adobe Photoshop and convert the images to greyscale with charcoal or whatever other type you want to use.  You can also use it to reduce the size of the image by pixels.  The best method (only for pictures with 1 to 9 colors) that I have been using is as follows:  Upload the image as a sprite in "Gamemaker (free)."    Next, reduce the mask size so that it surrounds the image that you want.  Next, transform the image size so that it will fit into 150/300 by 150/300 bits and then reduce the mask size until it surrounds the image.  You can check the image size by monitoring the mask size.     Convert or change all outside images into one color that are not inside the image that you are going to use (like an elephant).  Later, delete the oustide color so that your mask is trasnparent.  Next, convert all of the colors inside the image into one color.  Make sure that the outlining color is black.  After you have converted all of the colors inside the image into one color, you can use the line tool to make black lines inside the image or you can fill the image in with one color (since you are changing pixels, the line tool can actually be use to make curves.  Believe it or not).  You will find that your image size is around 150 bits by 300. You will also find that the end result is much better than a vector image (image size less than 4,000 bytes) and the picture can be enlarged inside word or powerpoint without an increase of memory.  I don �t know if this helps but I will tell you this.  I took a school sign I made (90 cm by 80 cm) into a shop here in town and the man said that my image size was too small).  I told him lets check the image size on your program and see if your statement is true.   He was wrong.  He couldn �t believe that my imae size was only 419 kbs.  Remember, you cannot reduce a picture using any programs without losing resolution but if you change the colors into one or two as you reduce the image size you will have a very sharp image in the end.  I hope this helps.  The one thing that I do now is check my file size as I go along so that I can calculate what the end result will be and not be short changed in the end.

9 Mar 2012